View Full Version : land of waterfalls

stuart wanuck
07-24-2009, 02:46 PM
nikon d 700 28-70mm lens
iso 400 s 1/20 at f11
polariser with tripod

Alfred Forns
07-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Might be the best one Stuart Really nice feel !!! ..... Would really like for you to try one without the polarizer .. on blurs you do not want to use one since it kill the glare on top to the water that you actually want for these ... different than regular water images !!!

Jay Gould
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Al, please describe HOW to do the blur w/o the PL as you are suggesting. Thanks,

Alfred Forns
07-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi Jay

The blur has nothing to do with the polarizer, it just reduces glare. Normally you want to reduce glare on the water so the water looks better but with slow shutter speeds you actually want some glare on top of the water for texture, does look better.

For getting a slow shutter speed without having to stop down a lot just use a ND filter. SingRay makes a neat variable ND filter .... and the new one even has a built in polarizer :) .. which you don't have to dial in !!!

Jay Gould
07-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi Al,

As I analyzed this image, Stuart's use of the PL reduced the SS to 1/20 by approx two stops and eliiminated.

You then said:

Would really like for you to try one without the polarizer .. on blurs you do not want to use one since it kill the glare on top to the water that you actually want for these ... different than regular water images !!!

I guess what you were implying in your statement was to use an ND instead of the PL. I thought you were suggesting to do something to the focus - there had been all of those OOTB blurs (something I stillneed to learn how to do).

I understand about the use of the NDs.

At this point I am considering a 2-stop and a 3-stop Lee ND which I can put together for 5-stops. If I need more I can also use a PL on the lens to push to 7-stops.

Regarding the SR Vari: I would have to buy the 82mm (my primary landscape lens is the 16-35 f/2.8). To use it with my 24-105 or my 70-200 I would have to add step-up rings. Thoughts?

Also, if I bought the combo Vari-PL then you would have the PL all of the time and that would defeat your suggestion of doing a blur without a PL. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Alfred Forns
07-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Hi Jay

The screw in ND make sense if your lenses have the same filter size Step up/down rings are a solution but more things to carry. The 4x6 which you hold in front of the lens makes sense and require no adapters ..all depends on the application.

The Vari PL works just fine You don't have to dial in the polarizer if you don't want so it can be used as a ND filter. About the only downsize is the cost ... they are not cheap !!!

Art Kornienko
07-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Very nice Stuart, the shutter speed worked out well.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Beautiful shot. Has a nice dreamy feel to it.

Gus Cobos
07-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Nice capture Stuart...I like the cotton candy effect of the water...:cool: