PDA

View Full Version : Brown/Grizzly Bear in Sedge Meadow

John Ippolito
07-24-2009, 11:52 AM
morning light in a sea of green sedges-an important high protein food source.
Bristol Bay drainage, Alaska
D300
300 2.8 VR
f 4
1/2000
ISO400
Manual

Dave Mills
07-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Hey John, There is alot about this image that is very appealing. I like the placement, sharpness, and lighting.
The fact that he's munching on grass is a bonus. The OOF area on the left and bottom doesn't bother me in this instance and is acting as a partial frame and creating an effect which makes the subject pop even more. Nice job!!

Richard Peters
07-24-2009, 12:02 PM
I really like this, the bear stands out nicely amongst all that lovely green. I think they fact he is eating some is the icing on the cake! Lovely shot.

Kiran Khanzode
07-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Great colors, I like the vignette effect.

Cindy Cone
07-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Great image, John! As mentioned by others, the placement, sharpness, and the mouthful of grass are especially nice. I think the vignetting works well, also.

Tell Dickinson
07-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Lovely shot of a lovely animal John :) The grass in the mouth adds a lot but the eye contact makes it for me :)

Tell

Gerald Kelberg
07-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Great effect with this fine bear surrounded in the vignette of green. To my taste the PP looks a little "over cooked" with the fur looking a bit too spikey - perhaps just over sharpened a little. Also one thing I have been faulted on here, is the eyes look a little over brightened and consequently the bear's right eye looks a little strange.
Nevertheless, you're a lucky man to have spent time with this beauty!

Gerald

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-24-2009, 07:12 PM
I certainly echo Dave Mills' assessment. Wonderful image John. Like it a lot. :)

Fabs Forns
07-24-2009, 08:04 PM
John, I love the way you framed the bear with the OOF vegetation, it works wonderfully for me. Nice light and well composed. Food is a bonus.

Kiran Poonacha
07-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Beautiful one loved the image, great DOF and details, loved the eye contact and the grass in the mouth adds a lot here.

I like the repost, I personally feel that a litle more room on the right would look better.

David Fletcher
07-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Like the way this is framed too. Like the directness of eye contact most and the food a bonus.

Harshad Barve
07-25-2009, 07:34 AM
All good points well covered by experts
Grass munching adds great punch for me
TFS

Steve Canuel
07-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Just a real sweet shot John. Nice color, pose, and detail.

Sabyasachi Patra
07-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Hi John,
Nice image. The grass in the mouth is a big plus. I like the looks. I am would not mind removing the vignetting effect. In fact the darkening of the left side of the frame takes away the space and doesn't add to the image. I agree with Peters repost. I am sure it would have been a terrific experience watching the bears. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

John Ippolito
07-27-2009, 12:17 AM
I appreciate and value everyones comments and suggestions on the image. Thanks for taking the time!

Morkel Erasmus
08-01-2009, 08:15 AM
this just leaps out of my screen. super sharp and well exposed!

John Ippolito
08-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Great effect with this fine bear surrounded in the vignette of green. To my taste the PP looks a little "over cooked" with the fur looking a bit too spikey - perhaps just over sharpened a little. Also one thing I have been faulted on here, is the eyes look a little over brightened and consequently the bear's right eye looks a little strange.
Nevertheless, you're a lucky man to have spent time with this beauty!

Gerald

Gerald, the "spikey" look is the result of the bear's fur in stages of drying. The lower coat and legs are still quite wet, and when thay start to dry they take on a "spiked" appearance. Also, I did not lighten the bear's eyes at all. In fact, I seldom do since grizzly/brown bears have relatively small eyes, often with darker fur around the eye sockets. So for my taste overlightening looks unnatural.

Also, thanks for your comments Morkel!

denise ippolito
08-02-2009, 09:39 PM
John, This is a fantastic image of a Grizzly Bear! Details and composition are great. The grass in the mouth is a bonus. I almost missed seeing this one. Big Congrats! Looks like you're having a great summer!!

John Ippolito
08-04-2009, 11:43 AM
John, This is a fantastic image of a Grizzly Bear! Details and composition are great. The grass in the mouth is a bonus. I almost missed seeing this one. Big Congrats! Looks like you're having a great summer!!

Thanks for your kind comments, Denise! It's been a very nice summer here so far. Just heading over to the Iliamna area for some late season alpine brown/grizzly bears if the weather cooperates.

denise ippolito
08-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Good luck hope you get some more great images.