PDA

View Full Version : Piling City at Sunset

Arthur Morris
02-06-2008, 04:32 PM
The graphic patterns of the pilings of this big pier out in San Diego caught my eye at sunset.

Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens with EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/125 sec. at f/16. Gitzo 3530 LSV CF tripod and Mongoose M3.5.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. Later and love, artie

Terry Olmsted
02-06-2008, 05:02 PM
You could hang a print of this at my place anytime, Artie. Great eye!
Terry

Rich Ikerd
02-06-2008, 05:23 PM
I really like how the piers give a strong graphical element to a beautiful sunset. I'm certain you purposefully famed this with the sun behind the center image, but I keep trying to imagine what it would look like with the sun centered between two of the pilings.

Kenn Christensen
02-07-2008, 01:20 AM
nicely composed.. I really like how it seems to have a "roof".. like its some kind of ancient temple of the sun.... very kewl

Robert Amoruso
02-07-2008, 07:41 AM
I think placing the sun between the pilings would unbalance the image though I would be interested in seeing the two together. I put a rule of thirds grid on the image below to show how it fits into that standard. I like how Artie did this careful composition.

D. Robert Franz
02-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Well composed and unique image Artie. I love it......

Arthur Morris
02-07-2008, 10:08 AM
I really like how the piers give a strong graphical element to a beautiful sunset. I'm certain you purposefully famed this with the sun behind the center image, but I keep trying to imagine what it would look like with the sun centered between two of the pilings.

I wanted to avoid a hot spot and in addition, with only the 500, I wanted to use the cloud formations extreme left and extreme right to frame and balance the image...

later and love,

artie

ps to RAM: you gotta teach us how to do those lines...

john crookes
02-07-2008, 10:15 AM
isn't that a Pied Billed Grebe lifting off in between the right pillings

Love It

Jim Poor
02-07-2008, 10:20 AM
I like this as is, but also wonder what it would look like at a more oblique angle with the pylons receding into the frame.

Whether or not such an angle would be possible to get to all while keeping the sunset is a whole different question.

Robert Amoruso
02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I wanted to avoid a hot spot and in addition, with only the 500, I wanted to use the cloud formations extreme left and extreme right to frame and balance the image...

later and love,

artie

ps to RAM: you gotta teach us how to do those lines...

Artie,

I will put something together. I use a free action that I downloaded from ATNCentral. I will have to include the link to get it. I will post in the Digital Workflow Forum in the next day or so. I have been thinking of doing that anyway.

Arthur Morris
02-07-2008, 03:35 PM
isn't that a Pied Billed Grebe lifting off in between the right pillings

Love It

If there is a grebe in this image I need my eyes examined and probably my head too!

Thanks to all who commented. And later and love, artie

Gayle Clement
02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Great strong image, Artie. I love the composition exactly like it is.

David Kennedy
02-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Artie,
Did you focus on the pilings or on the water? I imagine it was the center piling. I realize you also stopped down to f/16 for some DOF, but with a 500 that still only gets you so far.

And Robert, if we can make that action use a color other than purple for the outside edge--no color, ideally--I'd be all for it ;)