PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Wings

Travis Novitsky
02-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Close-up of the wings of a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly.....made hand-held with a Canon EOS 20D camera and Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens. Shutter speed 1/400, aperture f7.1, ISO 200, exposure compensation -1 2/3. When I first looked at this image on the computer, I wished for sharper focus all the way across the frame, but after viewing it a few times I liked how the sharpness fades from one side to the other. I was mowing the lawn one day this past summer and there were a lot of butterflies around.....couldn't resist stopping and playing with the camera for a bit. :) Let me know what you think.....be honest! Thanks.....

Kaushik Balakumar
02-06-2008, 06:57 PM
sharp & nice texture.
but the image lacks something don't know what ! Eyes are restless.

rgds,
Kaushik

Jim Poor
02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Is this cropped or full frame? The reason I ask is that I think it might look nice rotated to put the space between the wings diagonally in the corner.

Todd Frost
02-06-2008, 07:30 PM
I find the space between the wings distracting, maybe if you focused on just one wing. The colors and texture are very nice.

Todd

John Cooper
02-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Great capture of design and colour Travis - I like the idae of Jim's rotation. It would also work better for me if the left wing was aslo in sharp focus.

Matthew Pugh
02-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi
I actually rather like this composition as seen, I find it a rather refreshing take upon a butterfly’s wing close up image. Having said this I would ideally have like to see more details expressed in the sharp areas. As seen these are IMO slightly lacking, perhaps this is due to a slightly over saturated look, maybe a slight over exposure, or perhaps just due to the lighting being a little harsh. It hard to say just from looking at this image alone. But regardless of my little quibbles - what a great job of getting this close with a 60mm - nice one
All the best
Matthew

Travis Novitsky
02-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Thank you all for your input and suggestions! I appreciate the time you took to analyze the image and share your thoughts.