PDA

View Full Version : Table and Chair

Desmond Chan
07-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Fujifilm S5 with Nikon 105f2.8 VR macro hand-held. Aperture priority mode (don't happen all the time), all natural light. ISO 100 f8 1/45s.

I know, I know, no birds, no flowers, and no wild animals whatsoever. :) I took this snap shot in April last year. I have posted it somewhere else before and received some interesting comments. And so I'm interested to see what you guys think of it. It was later afternoon on a cloudy day.

Thank you very much for looking and your comments will be greatly appreciated !!

Dave Mills
07-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi Desmond, Very good eye on this. You took a simple subject and turned it into an interesting composition. I cropped the black area off the top because I felt it was taking the eye away from your center of interest. There are still enough diagonal lines on top to balance the image. Nice job!

Alfred Forns
07-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Great re post Dave !!!! Just the perfect crop !!!

Desmond Love this type images and look for the all the time !! .. great tittle !!! Just tweaked the contrast a bit !!

Lance Peters
07-24-2009, 05:01 PM
HI Desmond - reposts without the black at the top -rock.

Good eye alright - like this a lot - SIMPLE yet effective :)

Desmond Chan
07-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Thank you for the comments!

I'm not sure if anyone of you will come back and read this, but here's one of the comments I have received last year when I took this photo:

Why make the chair more into a chair? Why make it more identifiable? Right now it blends in with the background, so it flattens the image. The back of the chair almost seems like it's on the same layer as the bricks/etc behind it. This further abstracts the image to the eye.

I don't agree with pulling the chair out either. You pointed out that the leg of the chair could be the leg of the table, Gary, this adds to the picture for me, let me explain myself, this has the same idea as my first. It's attached to the top of the table, which is why it's hard to tell whether it's the table leg or chair leg, this further distorts the representational side of it being a chair. In this case, it also creates an interesting negative space.

I also like the water. It adds an interesting, yet sublte, contrast to the rest of the picture, organic.

The way the picture is, now, makes your eye travel all over the picture. There's no obvious subject. It's an abstract of the table, the ground, and the table. Together it makes a very nice 2 Dimensional like design, and more of something just unrepresentational. He was responding to a comment made by another guy "Gary".

One thing that some may not have noticed about this image is the "2 Dimensional like" part of it. Also, there is no obvious shadows in this photo. The top left hand corner of the original is actually water in a corner of a pool. Then there is also water droplets on the table from the rain.

I think the black corner in the upper left hand corner provide some balance with the black table and chair at the lower right hand corner.

Thanks for letting me know what you see :)

Gus Cobos
07-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Hi Desmond,
I like the composition, image and capture...it's simple and quite effective...I like the play on the different diagonal lines and textures...the reposts rock...well done...:cool: