PDA

View Full Version : Gila Woodpecker visit

Gus Hallgren
02-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi, Photographed this Gila Woodpecker in our yard at 9:38 AM with Olympus E-510 IS . . . Gus :)

AP F/7.1. 1/640s
ISO 400
-0.30EV
600 MM HH
Auto WB

Harold Davis
02-06-2008, 05:23 PM
i'm gonna take a stab at this one, gus. the bird looks a bit tight in the frame. i'd add a little on the top, right and bottom. the BG is a bit noisy also. some NR would help. and it also looks like a little clockwise rotation would help. i know some trees grow at angles, but it's also natural to see the birds at an angle leaning back. looks like some sharpening of the beek would also help.

beautiful bird, and i think the exposure is spot on. let's see what the experts say!!

Gerald Kelberg
02-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Well, I'm no expert but having seen such varied birdlife from Gus's garden - I think I'll move to Green Valley Arizona! :)

Gerald

Gus Hallgren
02-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi Harold, Thanks for looking at my photo. Agree that it may be too tight as I've been cropping for my note cards, 4.25 x 5.5, and I try to keep as much bird showing as I can. Really not a valid excuse as I like the look of the bird when it's got a comfortable amount of room around it. The tree, is one of two big ones in my garden, and 3 sets of large branches slant up, so I can live with it. But it would look good your way. Appreciate your comments, as they are a great help. . . . Gus

Gus Hallgren
02-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi Gerald, And the hummingbirds are just around the corner :-) Green Valley is at 3000' in Southern Arizona, and we're at the entrance to Madera Canyon, which is well known for it's great birds. The weather is perfect, and right now the Snow Birds are about 50% of the population till the end of March . . . Madera Kubo B&B a great place to stay at the 5000' level in the canyon . . . Gus

Harold Davis
02-06-2008, 07:49 PM
you should be on chamber of commerce. makes me want to come out there!!!

Alfred Forns
02-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Excellent critique Harold !!!! Spot on all counts !!!!

....... I like that yard ... see any wildlife coming through :)

Gus Hallgren
02-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Hi Al, These 2 cuties caught me by surprise walking across the street from our yard on their way to the next wash last October, have Javelina's and Coyotes occasionly with the odd Bobcat. Luckily no Rattlesnakes in our part of town as new building is taking over their habitat . . . Gus