PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse plumage (Mallard)

wendell westfall
07-23-2009, 09:07 PM
D70s 70-200VR+2X@400 1/640 f/5.6 ISO500 0EV handheld

I found this guy yesterday morning floating around by himself in the wetlands and liked his looks, but was puzzled at his ID. I inquired and was told it was "a drake mallard in eclipse plumage." Then, not being a seasoned and knowledgeable birder, I had to look that up, and now I'm an expert on the subject (I wish . . .). I made very few adjustments to this image.

Wendell

Desmond Chan
07-24-2009, 12:05 AM
I like the light and the reflection. I would sharpen the eye a bit though because I somehow find the body sharper than the head :)

Lance Peters
07-24-2009, 02:49 AM
Hi Wendell - Good HA and eye contact and a strong enough reflection to include - IMHO.
Agree with Desmond a touch of sharpening to the eye.
Good show :)

Tell Dickinson
07-24-2009, 03:14 AM
In the UK, there was a theory a looooooooong time ago, that male Mallards 'went away' for a while because at a certain time of year very few could be seen, when in fact there were in eclipse and looked just like female Mallards :) I only have to see a Mallard and it brightens my day because I find their mannerisms so funny :)

Back to the photo... Nice reflection HA and eye contact and lovely water colour, agree with the sharpening.

Tell

Gerald Kelberg
07-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi Wendell,

Looks like you have been busy! Nice Mallard with a sharp reflection, too! Much to like. Looks like you managed to get your sensor clean. Not so difficult, was it!

I have been visiting my Avocets again and will post one of the shots when I get time.

Regards,

Gerald

Christopher Miller
07-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Agree with everybody else, very nice picture. I like the image as presented, but I do wonder if a lower angle might have made for an even better photo. Just an thought!

wendell westfall
07-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Charming story about eclipse, Tell; the phenomenon was new to me.

And all agree about the eye . . . it is now "fixed".

Alfred Forns
07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Lovely image Wendell Just zero in on the eye and darken the pupil !! Big change and will appear sharper !! A good fix for most !!!

wendell westfall
07-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Alfred, I tried darkening the pupil, as you suggested -- something I had never done before -- and was pleasantly surprised at the difference it makes.

Gus Cobos
07-29-2009, 06:56 AM
Hi Wendell,
I like the image and capture...you did well...agree on the eye fix...looking forward to your next one...:cool: