PDA

View Full Version : Food Fight

James Galletto
07-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Two young Oystercatchers fight over a crab at Nickerson Beach.

Canon1D mkIII 500mm f4 1.4x, Manual exposure incident meter -1/3 1/1250 @ f7.1 Iso 400.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Love the diagonal shoreline, the tussle and perfect light. Perfect HA on both for me.
Thanks for sharing. :)

Ramon M. Casares
07-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Great interaction, lovely light, and detail as well as BG and exposure, I really like the shadows and although I guess the ground was like than I wonder how some CW rotation would look like here.
Congratulations.

colincarter
07-23-2009, 02:05 AM
superb shot, lighting, bokeh, subjects and composition are all first class. I agree with Ramon on the rotation, what does the shot look like if you level the water in the background?

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey James,
Great interaction and angle on both. I'm ok with angle as presented as the beach goes downward. Sweet light too!

Grace Scalzo
07-23-2009, 08:58 PM
I think that the shadows add an interesting element.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-23-2009, 09:13 PM
That looks like a relatively civil fight. :) Are these siblings, I haven't seen OCs with more than one chick at Nickerson.

I also like the shadow and would remove the sheen on the bills.

Ryan Lambert
07-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Good image here James, good interaction captured, the sand flting and shadows make the image for me...congrats...

Kobus Tollig
07-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Great exposure and interaction. I would like some space on the left

Arthur Morris
07-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Good job of capturing the interaction. Good SH and EXP and two perfect HAs. If you look at the bird on our left, it would seem that some CW rotation would be called for.

Lastly, by getting a lot lower or right on the ground if possible (probably not possible given the slope of the beach), you might have been able to place the birds against an all water BKGR. As presented, the line of the sand/surf intersecting the birds is a bit distracting.

Randy Stout
07-24-2009, 07:18 AM
James:

Very nice image for reasons already mentioned. I agree with Artie about he background horizon cutting through the birds, but fear you would lose the interesting shadows if you got lower. Always fun to try different comps if you have time to work the situation. I suspect this one happened and ended very quickly!!

Cheers

Randy

James Galletto
07-25-2009, 10:04 PM
The camera was level and there was heavy surf and the action was way to quick.

Good job of capturing the interaction. Good SH and EXP and two perfect HAs. If you look at the bird on our left, it would seem that some CW rotation would be called for.

Lastly, by getting a lot lower or right on the ground if possible (probably not possible given the slope of the beach), you might have been able to place the birds against an all water BKGR. As presented, the line of the sand/surf intersecting the birds is a bit distracting.