PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D3 AF setting for Birds in Flight

Art Peslak
02-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Nikon's manual seems to recommend using 51 point auto focus for BIF instead of 51 point with 3d tracking.

What have people been using?

I tried the 51 point with 3d quickly and the autofocus points were jumping all around the viewfinder which I found to be quite distracting.

Fabs Forns
02-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Art, I have the AF set to 51 plus 3D
That only works with the dynamic. It's the same as Canon's ring of fire. The dynamic moving is that you acquire with the center and move the camera to compose and the focus follows you initial acquisition, Once you get used to it, it wont bother you, I like it, since I know my original focusing is maintained.

For BIF, sometimes I use the dynamic and sometime the center point, the latter over water preferably.

Alfred Forns
02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Art the AF do jump all over the place In reality is like the Canon on 45 point but you don't get to see them

It is very accurate I use 51 3D and choose the dynamic for clear sky Have tried just the nine center for cluttered bg and also works well Still experimenting but very happy with results I'm starting to trust the dynamic more and more !!!

btw tried the 600 VR with a 2X Results seem excellent will post an image in birds tonight !!!

Art Peslak
02-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks Fabs and Alfred. I'll give the 51 3d a shot this weekend.