PDA

View Full Version : Peony Raindrops

Christopher Miller
07-22-2009, 07:59 PM
A while back I had posted an image of raindrops on a peony with the flowers reflected in them. Here is anther shot that I took at the same time. This is a larger crop than I would like, but if I remember correctly the camera wouldn't focus any closer. Any C&C are welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f4.5 @ 1/200, ISO 100, -0.3 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, cloudy WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, curves adjustment, shadow/highlight, noise reduction, and cloned out an OOF drop in the left corner

Jeff Cashdollar
07-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Chris,

Love the images inside the drops, well done. I like the tilted angle of the flower and the varied raindrops, some clear some not, very original.

A+ in composition - I like it

Ray Rozema
07-22-2009, 10:19 PM
What a great effect with the flowers in the drops and it is not a PS effects. Great compostion. I would wonder about toning down/desaturating the background so it does not pull your focus from the droplets:)

Kerry Perkins
07-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Chris, this is quite nice. I love the "picture-in-picture" concept. Reminds me of those glass paperweights with the glass flower inside! If you had canvas at the bottom it might be cool to move the whole image up in frame to get the transition from FG to BG away from the center. Just a thought and I like it as presented! Nice complimentary colors.

Ron Boisvert
07-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Chris, as for me, I can't see anything I would change, and I agree with Jeff 100%. This is a very nice shot - I LIKE it!

Dave Mills
07-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi Christopher, If this were mine I would crop off half the pink backround since it's competing with your raindrop reflections.

OvidiuCavasdan
07-23-2009, 01:55 AM
Very nice perspective of raindrops and the flower in raindrops. I like the green/pink combination and the round raindrops against the leaf texture.

Desmond Chan
07-24-2009, 12:06 AM
I also like it as is. Good job !!

Lance Peters
07-24-2009, 02:42 AM
Hi Chris - love it - Compacts like the one you are using rock for these macro shots - hard for a SLR to match in many ways :)
Keep them coming.

Christopher Miller
07-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate you all taking the time to comment.

Grace Scalzo
07-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Are you kidding? This image rocks! I love the concept, and the colors. Now, you say it is a large crop, so that means you've got room to play. The curve of the petal with those droplets forming a nice curve going down it are where my eye wants to linger, all that pink up top doesn't add much. I'm never a fan of chopped things, and the droplet on the left that is cut bothers me. (Perhaps something unique to me??) I'd sure love to have this image as my own and would play around with it a bit more if I were you, maybe not to improve this composition, but to see if there are more hiding in it. Really cool, I'll remember this one for a long time!

Christopher Miller
07-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks for commenting, Grace. I agree with you that the cut-off droplet is a little bothering, but there were a lot more droplets further to the left so to add more room would simply mean that other drops would get cut off. I'm attaching the uncropped photo here, please feel free to play with it. I'd be happy to see what other compositions you can get out of it :)

Alfred Forns
07-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi Chris One fine image !! love the closer drops to give it added depth !!! Just fine all around !!!!

Gus Cobos
07-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Hi Chris,
I like it as presented...I like the fine details captured in the water droplets..the composition is superb...well done...:cool: