PDA

View Full Version : Pre dawn at Hunting Island, SC

JB Ellis
07-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Pre dawn shot. Creek spills into the ocean. Canon 40d, Sigma 17-70 at 28, ISO 100, 1 sec, f18.

Roman Kurywczak
07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey JB,
Greetings from Alaska! I think the S curve here works well but I'm not sure the colors are strong enough to carry the scene. Because it is a simple presentation I generally prefer stronger colors to add impact. You may be able to bring them up some.....but you didn't get enough bounce that day to carry into the right of the water so now my eye is drawn more towards the top 1/3 of the image. Let's see what others chime in.

Katherine Enns
07-22-2009, 09:00 PM
This is gorgeous. (I think think the horizon is tilted, tho) and Roman has a point, you could get more pink out of it. But I think the paleness of it is very beautiful, and the S curve, boy that is really nice. You dont get that everywhere! Love the shapes. Very lovely scene.

kat

Ramesh Adkoli
07-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi JB, i liked the softness of this image: both colors and textures. IMO, you could crop the top 1/5 of the image to reduce the sky and better the impact of "S" curve of water way. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

JB Ellis
07-24-2009, 08:29 AM
This a rework of the same image. Does it help? I forgot to mention that it is a 3 image HDR. +- 2 stops, 1 sec is the median.

Dave Mills
07-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi JB, I like your repost. Image is definately stronger and holds my interest. Nice s curve and comp...

Roman Kurywczak
07-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Hey JB,
Definitely an improvement! The subtle color in the water now is able to lep hold my attention in the FG right and adds some interest. Nice job on the re-work.

Phil Ertel
07-24-2009, 05:54 PM
The repost is very nice in my opinion. The increase in colors makes it much more interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Desmond Chan
07-25-2009, 03:32 AM
I prefer the original to the repost. The original looks more natural and it gives more a serene feel than your repost. Perhaps the adjustments could be done differently, some of the repost's colors look artificial, especially those in some parts of the sky. With the more vibrant colors, the reported image seems to have become one that is calling out for attention. Like: "Wake up! Time to go to work !!" :)

Also, it looks like this image can use some rotation adjustment.

Mike Fuhr
07-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Like the repost much better. Neat composition and the colors pop much more. I think Desmond is right about the CCW rotation.

Paul Marcellini
07-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm going th eother direction. i think a bw that emphasizes the composition would be nice. The repost does not look natural to me. those tones are soft and you can tell by the type of sunset that they should not be too vibrant. I thnk getting in front of the foreground clump of grass may have worked better as well. Looks like a beautiful area and the first image works well but I see a lot of potential there.

Mark Perry
07-25-2009, 06:25 PM
The repost is terrific!

Robert Amoruso
07-26-2009, 07:11 PM
JB,

I am in agreement with Paul on this one. Moving as he suggested would have improved the image and the colors look to enhanced.