PDA

View Full Version : Another Lesser Goldfinch

Aidan Briggs
07-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Finally got one to perch on a thistle. This will probably be the last goldfinch for now.

50D, 100-400 at 400
1/500, f/7.1, ISO 320
Tripod, Blind

Amy Marques
07-22-2009, 05:44 PM
I like the soft colors and the contrasting sharp texture of the thistle plant. Wish the feet showed up better but still, a nice image indeed!

Randy Stout
07-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Aidan:

Your bird is sharp, well exposed, nice position. The BK is very nice.

I like the perch. For me it is right on the verge of overpowering the bird, but I think its good. I did some quick crops but prefer yours. I think for some odd reason, the part I found most distracting are the two spikes angling off the main stem at the bottom of the frame. If your ethics allow, I might try a version with those cloned out, and see what you think.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
07-22-2009, 06:04 PM
In regards to the perch, I find it perfect in size shape and form...and also very appropriate especially that goldfinches absolutely adore thistle and use it to line their nests when seeding. Great comp and pose.

A few weeks ago I commented on one of your other goldfinch images that I thought is was too light but then I thought it was only me as no one else mentioned it. Well, I'm finding the same thing here (my monitor is calibrated and I can clearly see every shade of the calibration strip below). I adjusted the midtones slider in "Levels" to "darken" the image and feel this is a more pleasing tone.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/golfinch20web1.jpg

Ilija Dukovski
07-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Very nice image good HA and eye, like the perch very much, very good colors feel.
My Mac is very bright and I don't find this image too bright as Daniel said. The center plumage is
on the brighter side but not bad IMO. It might be a matter of color rather than brightness.
Anyway very nice image.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I read Randy's assessment on the two spikes and while initially I didn't notice, he put the bug in my head. You bug-er! :D

Love the perch though, the overall design is very pleasing and the BG is fab! Thanks for sharing mate. :)

Brian Barcelos
07-22-2009, 06:43 PM
I agree with Daniel on this one. Still a very impressive image. Love that perch and the flowering buds put this over the top. Congrats.

Brian

carole wiley
07-22-2009, 06:43 PM
I think this is lovely, the perch is perfect and small birds on good perches are so hard to come by. I do prefer the colors in the repost, just more punch. A very nice image all around.

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Great composition and love the repost made by Daniel.

Very nice bird and killer BG. Congrats on a fine image.

Ramon M. Casares
07-22-2009, 10:36 PM
I am with Daniel here and his repost looks better on my monitor. Great light, pose, perch, comp, BG, detail and colors.
Congratulaitons!

Ryan Lambert
07-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Super image, I like what Daniel has done as it gives the image a bit more punch. Good comp and subtle colors captured here..congrats...

Stu Bowie
07-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Aidan, cool perch, and a super pose from the Goldfinch. Overall, this is nice and sharp too. I feel Dan's repost with the midtone adjustments works well.

Aidan Briggs
07-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks all for the comments. Daniel, on my mac your repost doesn't look any darker, though the colors look less saturated.

Don Berendsen
07-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Very beautiful image Aiden. The composition is exceptional, all the visual elements have a wonderful dynamic harmony.