PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Solitude

Mark Perry
07-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I am a new member and thought I would start contributing. Here is an image from early summer.

Mark

http://galloimages.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p857057086-4.jpg

Randy Stout
07-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Mark:

Welcome to BPN. It is a great place to learn.

A striking image. Colors in the sunset are nice, bird is sharp.

Lots of interesting cropping options here. I do like it as presented, but find the stick, because it stands out so much from the background, a bit distracting. I also find my eye drawn to the broke off branch lower right.

There are several variations of vertical crops that would work.

I will try a few variations off line, but will be very interested in what others think as well.

As always, a lot depends on your vision, the story you are trying to tell with the image.

Cheers

Randy

Randy Stout
07-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Mark:

I did a quick clean up of the stick, and removed the broken branch lower right corner, and cropped down a bit from the top, and found that for me it worked well. The tree limb is a bit heavy in proportion to the bird, but still makes for a powerful image. I do think the main trunk acts as a counterbalance to the bird, and I like it better with that in the frame.

Very nice.

Randy

Mark Perry
07-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks Randy for the comments. To be honest, I never really noticed (after PP) the lower broken branch... I try to leave as much as the natural setting as possible. I almost cloned out the vertical branch but thought that added a unique element.. kinda like mirroring the GBH's single leg pose.... It's a moody image ("lonely") image.

Mark

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
07-22-2009, 03:34 PM
I like the color and out-of-the-box concept. I agree with Randy's comment regarding removing the stick and the broken branch. Very lovely colors btw.

Randy Stout
07-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Mark:

I had mixed feelings about the stick too. I have attached a quick version of what I did. Not perfect cloning, but gets the idea across.

It is absolutely true that a smaller subject, in the frame gives more of an isolated feel to the image, so by all means, go with what best conveys your message.

Cheers

Randy

Lorant Voros
07-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Hello Mark,

Welcome in the team of BPN members. The best place to be for sure.

Interesting image. Nice colors. i'd try to remove the stick that is between the bird and the tree. Thanks for posting.

Lorant Voros
07-22-2009, 03:36 PM
I was typing while Randy made the repost. Perfect...I like it a lot like this.

Ilija Dukovski
07-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Welcome!
Great colors, excellent feel.
Randy did perfect job here.
Lovely!

Mark Perry
07-22-2009, 03:39 PM
I guess I need to clone out stuff more often..... ;-) Thanks again!

Ramon M. Casares
07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Great first post! Lovely scene and moord, grreat colors and textures too, I would have just loved this noe if the head and bill were visible.
Congratulations and welcome.

Jim Buescher
07-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi neighbor, welcome to BPN. It's always tough to come up with different ways of photographing common subjects, you succeeded well! The fact that the GBH is looking into the sunset (or sunrise?) and not facing us with the colors as just a nice background really sets the mood for this image. I kinda like the vertical stick, but the lower broken branch does draw your attention somewhat. Again, an outstanding image. (is it HDR?) Please post your shooting parameters and equipment used.

Daniel Cadieux
07-22-2009, 04:13 PM
I am a new member and thought I would start contributing.

Good idea!! Welcome to BPN Mark. I really love the concept of this image, the colours of the sunset (or sunrise?) really sets this off nicely. Randy's last repost is closer to what I had in mind when viewing your photo. The vertical twig does compete with your subject and should go. I agree the main trunk is a nice counter balance to the heron and I like it's inlclusion. Seeing the face, or at least part of the bill would have been killer good! What I really don't like is the thick blunt awkward ending of the perch - my cropping suggestion, I feel, gives the perch a much more pleasing look and a nice "flow" to the image (my opinion of course). I don't know how much of a crop your image originally is so this may be pushing the IQ limits but it does give you an idea of the possibilities of this image. Hope to see some more from you!!:)

P.S. posting the techs (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, EC, etc...) is recommended for ease of critique, and as a learning tool for all.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/p857057086-41.jpg

Mark Perry
07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks Ramon!

Hi Jim, I thought I listed the info but guess not.

No HDR. Just Lightroom and CS4. I am not real CS4 proficient but trying to learn.

Canon 50D 370 mm (100-400 L), f5 ISO 400. It was a sunset.

Mark

Charlie VanTassel
07-22-2009, 04:20 PM
The colors of the sky really set this one off. I like the repost that Daniel did. My first reaction also was to remove the vertical stick. Very nice!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Welcome to BPN, Mark! Very nice first post. I like the mood and the BG puts it over the top for me. I think there are several cropping options and find that both reposts work well. Keep them coming!

Phil Ertel
07-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Another welcome. Love the sky! Good advise/comments above. Both re-works are nice but then they had to have a good starting point. Thanks for sharing.

Mark Dumbleton
07-23-2009, 01:38 AM
Welcome to BPN and super first post! Love the BG colours which adds such a nice feeling to this image!
I prefer Daniel's crop, and agree on removing the intruding stick, definately clashes for attention with the bird. Well done!

David Fletcher
07-24-2009, 04:13 AM
Another welcome to BPN Mark. Love the colors which add a great deal and your comp. Do prefer Daniel's crop which simplifies the image, removing competing elements.