PDA

View Full Version : Jackal Buzzard

Ryan Lambert
07-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Another image from the now infamous Giants Castle - This is an image of a Jackal Buzzard coming in to land.

Camera Model Canon 40D
Lens EF400mm f/2.8L IS USM
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/1600
Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1
Exposure Compensation 1
ISO Speed 400
Focal Length 400mm

Axel Hildebrandt
07-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I like wing position, light, sharpness, dangling feet, BG and tilted head. Did you add the catchlight?

Ramon M. Casares
07-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Stunnning pose, great exppsure, BG, detail, colors, comp and species! Congratulaitons!

Manos Papadomanolakis
07-22-2009, 09:34 AM
killer pose/bg and beautiful wing position!!!

Ryan Lambert
07-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Ramon and Axel thanks for the comments, Axel I did not add the catchlight, I had a closer look and I am not actually sure what the "catchlight" is, as technically there should not be one there, unless there was something reflecting from below???

Lorant Voros
07-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Hello Ryan,

Fantastic pose, light, BG, species. Congratulations.

Doug Brown
07-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Awesome wing position and great dangling talons. Nice job with the exposure, DOF, and sharpness. I find your signature in the LLC to be a little distracting.

Arthur Morris
07-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Ditto Doug and all the other positives above. (he signature bugs me too; Ithought that it was stick. This one is good, very good. Is the light area just above the head a continuation of the angled white astrip to the left (our right) of the bird?

Raymond Barlow
07-22-2009, 10:47 AM
fabulous shot., sweet light and great head on pose.

Chris Kotze
07-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Excellent pose, angle and detail, great show of the wings and lovely colours and BG. Super capture Ryan

Morkel Erasmus
07-22-2009, 11:53 AM
love it Ryan! like the slight superb exposure and a great angle straight towards you...I would experiment with a little more space L & R to make it a more pano-type comp (assuming you have space in the original)

Stu Bowie
07-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Great wingspread, and fanned tail for the incoming landing Ryan. I like the detail in this, and the colours in the BG are amazing. Well captured.

Mark Dumbleton
07-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Super head on pose and BG! Well done!

Arthur Morris
07-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey, I would personally like to thank the five photographers above from South Africa for their membership support! The quality, enthusiasm, and support of all of our international members has thrilled the founders.

Mark Dumbleton
07-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Arthur, its a great pleasure contributing to BPN. I am learning so much and its such a privelage having someone of your professionalism commenting on my images! Appreciate every bit of input from you and all other members!

Arthur Morris
07-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks Mark. I just wish that I had the time to comment on every one of the images posted here, but travel and work (even though I love my work), absolutely preclude that. I do enjoy the wonderful sense of community here as well as the critiquing skills of the members. We recently took a look at a few images that were posted here and on a competing site and noted huge differences in the number of views, the number of comments, and most importantly, in the quality of the critiques. All in our favor of course <smile>

David Fletcher
07-22-2009, 02:12 PM
The pose, light, details, bg and head angle are exquisite Ryan. Congratulations on a fine shot.

Kobus Tollig
07-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Great shot well done. Great pose and exposure. Ditto Mark....we learn alot here..

Markus Jais
07-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Fantastic flight shot. Great wing pose. Wonderful BG and perfect exposure.

Markus

Brian Barcelos
07-22-2009, 07:21 PM
One of the most beautiful Buteos in my opinion. Wonderful job with all the colors. Couldn't ask for anything better. Congrats.

Brian

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Wonderful pose Ryan. All good has been said. I'll sit back and ENJOY the moment. THanks for sharing.

Artie, when you sent me a note after the inception of BPN, I saw the potential so a HUGE thanks to you and your fabulous team! :)

Ryan Lambert
07-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Thank you all for the wonderful comments and taking the time to have a look it is always appreciated ...

Ryan Lambert
07-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Ditto Doug and all the other positives above. (he signature bugs me too; Ithought that it was stick. This one is good, very good. Is the light area just above the head a continuation of the angled white astrip to the left (our right) of the bird?

The light strip is a continuation. The bg at giants castle is generally the hills and valleys leading up to the mountain range, which is why you are able to get those wonderful smooth backgrounds

ps I'll work on my signature:)

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-23-2009, 12:53 AM
ps I'll work on my signature:)

Ryan
I was meant to ask you. I wanted to place my hand written signature into my images. How did you do yours? Any tips?

Ta in advance. :)

Ryan Lambert
07-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Hey, I would personally like to thank the five photographers above from South Africa for their membership support! The quality, enthusiasm, and support of all of our international members has thrilled the founders.

Artie many thanks for the recongnition, but I must say that you have provide a wonderful forum of like minded people to share and contribute with. It is really good to be able to post here and learn from an international community. I must say the quality of work and level of knowlege is fantastic. You have also attracted a good following from the South Africans and you have some of our finest photographers contributing. So a big thank you to you and your team for providing such an awesome community at BPN

Ryan Lambert
07-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Ryan
I was meant to ask you. I wanted to place my hand written signature into my images. How did you do yours? Any tips?

Ta in advance. :)

Akos, I simply signed black on a white piece of paper then took a picture of it. In Photoshop I upped the contrat then did a colour selection on the black and created a new layer with it. Then you can select the signature and copy andd paste on your image.

I hope this helps
Ryan

Dave Barnes
07-23-2009, 01:08 AM
Very good GC capture Ryan.
Just some minor issues.
I think there is a bit of noise in the dark areas around the face and top of wings?
It is also just a tad dark/over saturated I think?

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-23-2009, 01:16 AM
THanks Ryan,
How silly I didn't think of that! :D
Appreciated.

Ryan Lambert
07-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks Dave, I suppose I could run some NR on the bird but I tend to stay clear of that. It could have been caused from dodging the underside of the wings a bit as they fell into the shadow. I am not sure about the saturation as I did none, maybe from upping the contrast a tad?

Cool Akos :)

Kiran Poonacha
07-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Superb one Ryan.. just to add.. I loved this a lot.

Ryan Lambert
07-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Thank you Kiran, much appreciated...

Dr.Pranay Rao Juvvadi
07-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Head on, outstretched wings and tail, great light and BG, I would be very thrilled if this image was mine.