PDA

View Full Version : Sunny Flower

Christopher Miller
07-21-2009, 08:00 PM
This is one of a series of photos I've taken recently of calendula flowers. I tried when cropping to move the flower center a little off center. Do you think this comp looks good? Any C&C are welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f4.5 @ 1/200, ISO 100, -0.3 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, auto WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped a little and curves adjustment

Julie Kenward
07-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Christopher, for me, this is one of the rare times that a center crop really does work. All those petals heading out in every direction lead your eye away to all four corners so there's no real need to place the object so the eye will follow.

I think you did a splendid job on exposure of the yellows. They don't feel over saturated or over baked in any way. It's lovely - might hit it with just a bit more sharpness right in the center petals.

Ramesh Adkoli
07-22-2009, 03:46 AM
Christopher, i like the soft, rich yellows of this image. As julie mentioned, good exposure and good control over DOF. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Markus Jais
07-22-2009, 04:30 AM
I like this one. Great shot.
I think the composition works here. This is a situation where several compositions would probably work like a central composition and also one where the center of the flower is a little more in the upper right corner.
A square with a central composition would probably also work very good.

Markus

Mike Moats
07-22-2009, 05:43 AM
Hey Markus, I think this comp works as is, but I'm not a fan of center comps, so I might have looked for another comp with this flower. Your techs look good, details and light look fine.

Christopher Miller
07-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the comments.

Fabs Forns
07-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Centered works for me here, since it is so symmetrical :)

Anita Bower
07-25-2009, 06:48 AM
I, too, like it centered. Beautiful yellows.