PDA

View Full Version : Caslton Tower Spotlight

Bret Edge
02-06-2008, 01:25 PM
This is my first image post here at BPN. I made this image a couple weeks ago on an outing in Castle Valley. It is the first time I've returned from a trip to CV with an image of Castleton Tower that actually got added to my files. I spent about 45 minutes standing in one very cold spot waiting (and hoping!) that the tower would be spotlighted as the sun moved in and out of clouds. This light lasted for about 10 seconds and was gone for the rest of the evening.

Thanks for having a look and leaving a comment.

1Ds MKII, 24-105mm lens, 2 stop GND handheld

Robert Amoruso
02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi Bret, welcome as moderator of this forum.

It is all about the light, isn't it? And you persistence paid off here. I like the composition a lot and the grad filter really helped the sky to pop with the deep blue and nice white clouds.

Along the bottom edge I would have preferred not to see the bushes cut by the frame, BUT I know that in landscapes, it is a function of diminishing returns. You include the bushes cut and more get cut - where does it stop. In this case you cut the bushes and no small sections are peeking through. A nice balance in a tricky situation handled well here.

Again, welcome.

D. Robert Franz
02-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Brett you had a great sky to work with in this situation. Well composed and thought out image.....

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
02-07-2008, 12:50 PM
I would have liked the taller hoodoo/peak further to the right in the composition, but that might not have worked with this particular cloud formation. Nice use of the graduated ND filter!