PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Rosella

Michael Sowden
01-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Hello to all, This is my first post on this site.
This photo was taken in my back yard from a hide I have constructed near a feeding station.

Pentax *istDS, Sigma 50-500mm @ 500mm, f6.7 @ 1/30th, iso 400

Cheers Mike

Axel Hildebrandt
01-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Welcome to BPN, Mike. Very nice portrait. I like the inquisitive look. It could be a little bit brighter for my taste.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-02-2008, 03:54 AM
Hi,

I think this is nice and crisp for a portrait, but I do agree with what Axel says that it lacks the punch of nice light.

Arthur Morris
01-02-2008, 05:06 AM
Welcome Mike, I like it. Well done on the composition and sharpness. What do you all think of this re-post?

Two minutes in Photoshop: Levels, Desaturated the reds and lightened the whole thing and then a Linear Curves adjustment (in CS3).

later and love, artie

ps: When I use an action to create e-mail J-PEGs they often wind up looking too dark...

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Nice shot Mike, I like the colors of it. Just think it is a bit dark. Maybe a slightly more room on the left would provide more air for the bird in the frame.
Szimi

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Big welcome, Mike!

Nice looking bird and I like what Artie did de-saturating the red to preserve detail. That is one fault of digital, over saturating reds, and the way to fix is going to Hue/Saturation, Reds, and moving the slider to the left a bit, still maintaining the color, but letting the detail show.

We hope to make your BPN learning experience a positive one :)

Jody Melanson
01-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Welcome to BPN. I like the inquisitive look here and the subject along with the BG colour. It is too underexposed for my liking though.

Alfred Forns
01-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Big Welcome Mike, Sure like your backyard friends I like the repost !!!!

Terry Eddington
01-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Boy, am I jealous. We don't get visitors like that in my hometown. I can tell I'm really gonna like this forum and the instruction and feedback from very talented people. I like the changes Artie provided and hope to learn his methods this year, now through the forum and I'm working on my wife for the October seminar in Maine.

Glenn Bartley
01-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Really pretty bird. Where abouts do you live? Australia?

As for the image I would like to see the frame shifted to the left to give the bird a bit more room to look in to. As mentioned, the image looks a bit underexposed. I think if you can get this guy in some nice direct low angle light and just dial in -1/3 EV you'll have a stunning portrait!

Welcome aboard.

Michael Sowden
01-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback, the adjustments that have been suggested look great. I have heaps of photos of this species and will apply these techniques.
Glen, I live just out of Brisbane within a national park rainforest area.

Thanks again for all the positive feedback. Cheers Mike