PDA

View Full Version : Spoonie from Ding this morning.

Bob Blanchard
07-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Here's a Spoonbill from Ding Darling this morning. Nice going there during the week, as there's no one there. Small flock of Spoonies. Nothing spectacular, but some nice flight opportunities. Good light.

Canon 1DsMII, 600mm f/4, f/8, ISO 400, -2/3 EV, 1/2500, hand held (was packing up to leave when the last one took off!), IS turned off.
http://catcheroflight.smugmug.com/photos/597981029_WM2gB-L.jpg

Grace Scalzo
07-21-2009, 05:36 PM
This is beautiful, Bob. I love the colors. Hand held, no less, quite a feat.

Mike Tracy
07-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Real pretty spoonie with a wing position and light that showcases their beauty. Undecided about the partial reflection but the colors of water and the bird really pop.

Arthur Morris
07-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Nice colors, wings up pose, SH, and EXP. I am fine with the partial REFL but not with the dark horizon line....

Axel Hildebrandt
07-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I like the wing position, sharpness and dangling feet and might blur the BG a bit more.

Fabs Forns
07-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Beautiful colors and wing position. Agree on the BG blur.
Lucky for you they were close to the road :)

Bob Blanchard
07-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Artie - I didn't like the horizon either.

Fabs - Can you imagine what would happen if I waded out after them at Ding? They'd probably call in a SWAT team! Thank God for Little Estero! We can actually "work" the birds there....we don't have to rely on dumb luck.

Axel - I also agree on a bit more BG blur. I've been shooting the 1Ds at ISO 400 a lot more, so I need to put a bit more effort into PP to clean up the slight bit of additional noise.

Thanks all!

Nagesh Mula
07-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Its a beautiful picture Bob. I have never seen a Spoonbill let alone taking pics, so can't say on the difficulties. I like the flight and very good exposure. You can't help here with the dark BG but that should not be criteria to take off the credit. Great Job and Good luck for next time :-).

Ramon M. Casares
07-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Horizon line convered so I just want to congratulate you for the great pose, light, colors, detail and comp.

David Hemmings
07-21-2009, 08:36 PM
I love this image! The wing position and the comp, light and colors all come together so well!

Don Thompson
07-21-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm here to learn; would someone explain what is wrong with the horizon?

Ilija Dukovski
07-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Uh, like the color of the bird here, and the pose is excellent. Very nice.
The line in BG is unfortunate but don't mind too much.

Harshad Barve
07-21-2009, 09:09 PM
beautiful bird and nice pose
Agrred with Arthur and Ramon here
TFS
Harshad

Bob Blanchard
07-21-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm here to learn; would someone explain what is wrong with the horizon?

There are actually two "issues" in this regarding horizon lines. The minor one is the transitional water color band that passes through just above the birds feet. That one is minor, and easily fixed if I wanted to spend the time doing it. The second is the pronounced horizon line where the water and trees come together. The darker shade of the water and the shadows under the trees form a very pronounced line, which are disecting the subject in a distracting place (cutting his wings off). While it may not seem like a big deal, it does distract the eyes from where you want them. Now, if the position of the bird relative to the horizon line were different (if the bird were either completely above the line and against the trees, or below the line against the water) then it might not be so noticable. As it is, about the only way it could have been worse was if it were cutting his head off. I hope that explains it.

I still like the image, and it will probably do fine as a stock image....but it would get killed in a contest entry.

Rod Wiley
07-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Very nice Bob, great colors

colincarter
07-22-2009, 01:41 AM
excellent flight shot, great wing position, great lighting, composition and colours. issues with the horizon already covered.

Ryan Lambert
07-22-2009, 03:11 AM
Super image Bob, good colour and pose captured here, bg nit covered. I would maybe just do some selective NR on the bg...

Kiran Poonacha
07-22-2009, 05:05 AM
Beautiful image this, loved the wing position and details here.. congrats..

Don Thompson
07-24-2009, 09:58 AM
There are actually two "issues" in this regarding horizon lines. The minor one is the transitional water color band that passes through just above the birds feet. That one is minor, and easily fixed if I wanted to spend the time doing it. The second is the pronounced horizon line where the water and trees come together. The darker shade of the water and the shadows under the trees form a very pronounced line, which are disecting the subject in a distracting place (cutting his wings off). While it may not seem like a big deal, it does distract the eyes from where you want them. Now, if the position of the bird relative to the horizon line were different (if the bird were either completely above the line and against the trees, or below the line against the water) then it might not be so noticable. As it is, about the only way it could have been worse was if it were cutting his head off. I hope that explains it.

I still like the image, and it will probably do fine as a stock image....but it would get killed in a contest entry.

Thanks Bob. Great explanation. I like the image too even with the minor problems.