PDA

View Full Version : Do you set specific photographic goals?

Markus Jais
07-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Hello,

setting specific goals is by many considered the key to success in all areas of life.

I would like to know if you set specific goals for your photography. Examples could be:

- To have great flight shots of a White-tailed Eagle by the end of the year
- To become an expert in flight photography
- To sell my first article with my own pictures to a nature magazine
- To become a full time nature photographer

Do you set specific goals? And how do you make sure you reach them?

And comments and advice would be very helpful.

Markus

Ken Watkins
07-21-2009, 07:32 AM
That is a very good question.

Certainly none of the examples you have provided above would be a goal of mine.

In fact I do not really have goals for photography, I just like going into the wilds of Africa and elswhere and seeing things. If I get what I consider to be a good image then this is a bonus, even more so if other people enjoy them.
It would be nice to win WPTY, but I cannot be bothered to enter. It was certainly more than nice to win Wild Life image of the year on this forum.

It will be interesting to see what others have to say on this subject.

Grace Scalzo
07-21-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm with Ken. In the back of my mind I think of things that I would like to do (organize my files, update my website, read this or that) but with work, husband, house, etc, doing those would mean time away from the field which is all too precious. A general goal of mine is to tell a good story with my images, and to that end, I keep trying.

LouBuonomo
07-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Markus,

I ask myself that a lot, and I keep coming back to I want this to be fun and relaxing. I do try and get my stuff out there but it is not a driving factor, maybe some day that will change.

Nature Photography has given me many things of the past 5 years.. A better appreciation of the island I live on as well as a desire to visit other place to see their natural beauty.

But I think the greatest thing it has delivered is a new community and great friends like the fine lady and her husband who posted above.

Lou

James Shadle
07-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Work only two jobs.
My photography/workshop business and BirdPhotographers.Net

My third(aka day job) job has got to go!

Deborah Harrison
07-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Photography for me is an escape and a way for me to appreciate wildlife. Experiencing wildlife, understanding animal and bird behaviour is an integral part of the photographic experience and I don't set myself any goals. Hopefully sharing some of my images can help others appreciate nature and want to discover rather than destroy it.
I find photography a continual learning experience and I suppose my goal, if any, is to continue to appreciate our planet and never take things for granted.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Guten Tag Markus. :)

I personally love to dream. Then persevere with the dream, work hard and expect nothing. That way if I fall on my face, I will not be disappointed. To me, in reality, it is best to set the goals and work out how to achieve them.

When I was in high school, I tried out as the drummer for the school band. The teacher ridiculed me as I could only play a straight 4/4 and nothing else. I was humiliated. So I told him to get stuffed and duly I got detention. But I bought drumsticks, listened to a lot of Van Halen and taught myself how to play instead of getting wasted with my teenager friends - probably better for my health anyway. In a few years, I WAS the school drummer and suddenly the bands all wanted me to play with them.

Just over three years ago, I became very interested in photographing birds as my main hobby, because I was given ABP for Xmas the year before and I had no further interest to dive and photograph underwater. I practiced practiced and practiced, but learnt what I think is most important, the behaviors of the subjects I wanted to capture. But no matter how much one learns, it can never be enough. It's a perpetual learning curve with improvements all along the way. As long as you stick to your guns anything is possible.

Make your dreams come true! :)

My day job is just an inconvenient necessity. :(

Jim Neiger
07-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Markus,

Great topic. I set goals all the time. I also teach my methodology for determining and setting goals when I do my workshops.

When I'm in the field I observe the birds and watch their behavioral patterns. As I do this I notice behaviors I find interesting, beautiful, dramatic, etc. This leads me to envision a photo of these behaviors. To do this I try to see things as the camera sees them. Once I have an image envisioned in my head, I try to come up with a plan to capture that image. I ask myself where do I need to be and when do I need to be there?. What clues do I have that will tell me when the behavior I'm after will happen? What distance do I need to be at? How can I get the bg I want? What lens do I need? Each image has a different set of questions. Answering them leads to a plan. Once I have the plan, then I try to execute the plan. My goal is to get the image I have envisioned. Sometimes it never happens. Sometimes it takes many hours, days, or even months. Sometimes I come close to my vision. Sometimes the image exceeds my vision. When this happens it is the best in photographic experiences and is very satisfying. I love spending time in the field and I love the effort that goes into setting and achieving my goals. This is what motivates my photography.

The next time I post an Avian image I will post one of these experiences and tell the story behind it.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Jim,
That was a great read for me and I am sure for everyone else. I learned a lot from what you had written. :)

Jim Neiger
07-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks, Akos. I'm glad you found it helpful. I just posted an example of this in another thread here:
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=305627#post305627

I'll post another example the next time I post in Avian.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-21-2009, 10:38 PM
That's just AWESOME Jim. I will link a couple of images I created a couple of years ago, similar situation, though no BIF.

This image (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10318)I created by finding the Sacred Kingfishers' nest burrow on top of a river embankment and set up my baghide behind a shrub, within view of the landing perch, on which they landed prior to entering the burrow. I have heaps of images with different prey items (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10465)too.

Markus Jais
07-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Thanks a lot for all your answers.
Jim, your answer is great and very interesting and motivating. Thanks a lot!!

Markus