PDA

View Full Version : Kingfishers

Matty Fidler
07-21-2009, 04:10 AM
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac170/mattyboy2020/Lackford20-07-09016.jpg?t=1248167329

Connie Mier
07-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Any information to go with this photo? I like the bg, compliments the bird, and the composition is pleasing too. Would rather see the bird turned more toward camera, but not always a choice at hand. Lighting seems harsh on the branches.

Jory Griesman
07-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Firstly, welcome to BPN. Not an easy bird to get close to-what lens (and other technicals) were you using? Nice background and composition, re: bird placement in the frame. Good feather detail, but possibly/subtly oversharpened. The image appears a bit overexposed, and was likely taken under fairly harsh light. As mentioned, head turn is not ideal. There are too many branches for my taste, and I would, at the very least, clone out the top branch.

Again, welcome, and keep them coming!

Matty Fidler
07-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Any information to go with this photo? I like the bg, compliments the bird, and the composition is pleasing too. Would rather see the bird turned more toward camera, but not always a choice at hand. Lighting seems harsh on the branches.

Hi Connie,
The day did have some very harsh light, The KF was shot with a Canon 1D mk3 and 600m F4 lens at F5.6 with a shutter speed of around 1/250th. They are difficult buggers to photograph sometimes :)

Randy Stout
07-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Matty:

Welcome to BPN. You have a very colorful bird here, and if your kingfishers our like ours, they are indeed skittish fellows, as you say.

As mentioned, the HA would be better more towards us, and the light was harsh. The eye isn't quite critically sharp on my monitor.

The upper branch can easily bee burned in a bit, so it doesn't standout so much.

The background is very nice.

Hope to see more!

Randy