PDA

View Full Version : Golden Whistler immature - habitat

Colin Driscoll
07-21-2009, 04:09 AM
My first post :eek: A quick bio- I'm 65yo and been taking pics since my dad taught me the Box Brownie a long time ago. Only a relatively recent graduate to digital from film and apart from P&S, I've used the bridge Panny FZ18 & 28. Just a month or so ago I got a DSLR, lenses & flash and have been getting to know them. I'm also learning PP having just moved from PE4 to CS3.

This shot: 50D, 100-400L @ 400, f5.6, 1/500, -.33, Av, partial metering, 430EXII -1.33, Handheld.

Thanks for looking and for a terrific forum- I've been lurking for a while.

Leo Berzins
07-21-2009, 04:48 AM
G'day Colin and welcome to BPN.

I would prefer a bit more room around the bird, particularly in front of it. If this is full frame you could have zoomed out a bit with that lens.

Nice and sharp with good exposure. Love the melaleuca perch but perhaps the bright part behind the bird could be toned down a bit, if you're comfortable with doing that.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Harshad Barve
07-21-2009, 05:16 AM
All good points coverd by Leo
Grand welcome
Harshad

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Welcome to BPN from another Aussie. :)

Leo touched some great points Colin. In addition, the rhs is a little bright in comparison to the rest of the BG and it seems to draw my eyes away. Nevertheless, this is razor sharp where matters and we can appreciate the habitat and the fact that this is not a set perch, so you take what you get. For that, you managed very well. Hope to see more images. :)

I love this guy's calls and the Rufous. Nearly spring again. YES!

Ramon M. Casares
07-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Good suggestions above, welcome!

Colin Driscoll
07-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks all for the comments and welcome. The image was a partial crop and I could have left more on the RHS but the foliage got a bit messy and distracting. So one thing amongst many that I have yet to learn is how to properly manage the BG.