PDA

View Full Version : Yellow

Ilija Dukovski
07-20-2009, 11:21 PM
This one was taken on a bright overcast morning.
In those conditions the Nikon D80 performs as the little camera that could.
There were weird patches of cold-color greenish
on the bird, sign of overexposure. ACR recovery did not help
and there were no highlights at all. I believe those were patches
with blocked blue rather than overexposed pixels. Anyhow
managed to eliminate in ACR with exposure
and blacks slides and then brightened the image.

At first I was tempted to clone away the LLH corner plant
but then I decided it provides balance to the image.

Comments and critique appreciated.

Nikon D80 Nikkor 300mm +TC1.4
f/5.6 1/320 Matrix AP +1/3 no flash ISO400

Desmond Chan
07-20-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm all right with the plant. The bird looks sharp and details look good. But I always wonder if this kind of sharpness is too sharp. Still, sharpness is subjective... :) I think your leaving the plant in the LLH corner could be a good thing; it gives something for the bird to look at. I'd be tempted to see if some improvement in the eye's contrast could give it some liveliness. Apparently, you also have done a great job in saving your image.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-21-2009, 01:11 AM
I think this is nice Ilija. I like the colors despite the lack of good light. The plant on the left balances the image IMHO and if anything I would crop from above, by a 1/3 or 1/2. See what you think. It's nice and sharp. Well done. :)

Kiran Poonacha
07-21-2009, 02:32 AM
Nice one, loved the basket effect of the plant and the contrasting subject.. nice compo too.. I would brighten the image a bit.

Simon Bennett
07-21-2009, 04:05 AM
I like the pose, setting and background, Shapening looks good to me. Beautiful bird too.

Ilija Dukovski
07-21-2009, 08:27 AM
The bird looks sharp and details look good. But I always wonder if this kind of sharpness is too sharp. Still, sharpness is subjective... :)

Thanks Desmond for the comments,
Going tiff to jpeg always softens my images so I tend to over-sharpen the tiffs now before posting.
I hope I didn't overdo it.

Ilija Dukovski
07-21-2009, 08:28 AM
I think this is nice Ilija. I like the colors despite the lack of good light. The plant on the left balances the image IMHO and if anything I would crop from above, by a 1/3 or 1/2. See what you think. It's nice and sharp. Well done. :)

Thanks Akos,

I'll try the crop, I tried to handle all of the plants here.

Ilija Dukovski
07-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Nice one, loved the basket effect of the plant and the contrasting subject.. nice compo too.. I would brighten the image a bit.

Thanks Kiran, the basket-frame effect is what I wanted here.
Glad you like it. You are right about brightening, on my PC it looks dark,
on the Mac though it is OK. Matter of calibration, I think.
Anyway here's brightened version.

Ilija Dukovski
07-21-2009, 08:34 AM
I like the pose, setting and background, Shapening looks good to me. Beautiful bird too.

Thanks Simon.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-21-2009, 10:16 AM
The brighter repost looks better on my monitor, I like the setting, BG and eye contact. I might selectively sharpen the head more and there is a slight S/H halo above the head.

Gal Shon
07-21-2009, 11:18 AM
As far as lighting the repost is better, but I would prefer something between the two.
Great setting, sharpness and BG.
The eye is a bit dark for me.

Ramon M. Casares
07-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Nice comp and species, detail and colors look good to me, repost is better that OP.
Congratulations!

James Salywoda
07-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Gorgeous image Ilija well composed.

Stu Bowie
07-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Im glad you left the leaves on the LHS, it balances the comp nicely. The colours are well exposed, and I would lighten the eye a bit. With regards to the light, I would go inbetween the two posts.

Brian Barcelos
07-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Love the re post Ilija, Very good job getting the yellows and blacks the way you did. I too feel the branch on the left balances this nicely. Congrats.

Brian