PDA

View Full Version : Bosque - Serenity

Ron Boisvert
07-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Canon 20D w/ 70-200 f/4 @ 200mm, tripod mounted
ISO 200, f/6.3 @ 1/250, Aperture Priority, Auto Exposure, +2/3EV, slight crop all around

A late fall, late afternoon image with the Chupadera Mountains as BG, at Bosque del Apache NWR, San Antonio, New Mexico. All comments and criticism are welcomed.

Thanks!

BillTyler
07-20-2009, 09:26 PM
This image really makes me want to be there. But I'm finding that it feels more like two separate photographs to me, or at least two separate subjects. The birds form one subject, of course, but my eye keeps getting drawn away up to the hills and sky. I'd be interested to hear if others have a similar reaction, or whether I'm just nuts. Anyhow, if it were me, I'd try just making a panoramic crop of the lower roughly 1/4 of the image.

Bill

Jenny Wren
07-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Another beautiful image Ron. I like the composition and especially the colour. The light hitting the mid ground trees and grasses is special. I do get a feel of what Bill was saying...but to me it just makes me want to explore the image.

William Malacarne
07-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Ron

I also see how it could be two photos but I still like it this way.....Now if you could take maybe 3 or 4 more frames in portrait mode and make a sweeping panorama....:) As you are relatively close to The Bosque are you able to go there often?

Bill

Ron Boisvert
07-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Bill T., I do see what you mean about the lower part of the image having enough visual impact to stand on its own, but it was my intention to convey the majesty of the scene with the mountains as an important element. It was my first visit to Bosque, and that is what struck me about the place. In retrospect, I wish I had shot it the way you described it as well.

Jenny, you describe it the way I see it - I like to visually roam around the scene. Thanks for the nice compliments!

Bill M., I used to live in El Paso, Texas, and had heard about the Bosque, but never made the time to drive there. I moved to Massachusetts for 2 years, and when I left there, I moved to Albuquerque, NM, and resolved not to make that mistake again. It is about 2 hours south of here, and I've made about 6 or 7 trips so far. The refuge managers have talked about restricting people to their cars (no photos outside the car as I understand it), so before they implement that plan I've got to make more trips. I hope that idea falls by the wayside.

Katherine Enns
07-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Ron this is a lovely photograph...with amazing potential. It does look a bit like two separate images, but I think its because the color saturation and sharpness of the lower half is so much greater than the shady, soft and hazy upper half. I wish I could cleverly advise how to sharpen and increase the intensity of the upper half of the image, i know it cn be done and i know some of the steps but i am afraid i would muff it here.

Kat

Lance Peters
07-21-2009, 02:41 AM
Hi Ron - I quite like this - beautiful scene - sweet light. Like how you have kept the birds away from the edges and hence have no half birds anywere.
The mountain area just needs some adjustment - a little more contrast via a s curve in P.S. would do the trick I think (Info in educational resources).

The mountain area is a little softer than what I would like - personal taste ONLY.... More DOF would have been the go here I think - Would have giventhose mountains a bit more definition.
Good show :)

Alfred Forns
07-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi Ron This would work if you took it in the morning with the sun on the cranes !!!

With the setting sun over the mountains the birds are back lit and dark !!! As presented would crop to the road and its one fine image !!! btw another variation is making it with the full moon early morning :) Sweet image !!!!

Ron Boisvert
07-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Lance, here's the repost per your preferences. Is this more to your liking?

Ron Boisvert
07-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Alfred, I know there's two roads in this image; I'm guessing you mean the highway?? Is this the crop you envisioned? Your points about lighting are well taken, too.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer C&C, it is greatly appreciated!

Alfred Forns
07-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi Ron

For this one I was thinking cropping just above the shown road !! Will look for the full moon image !!! Bosque is my favorite of all places !!!! :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-22-2009, 07:46 PM
I like the first post, but would love a little more pop in contrast and saturation.

It is my biggest dream in my life - and has been for ages - to visit Bosque one day!!!!

Gus Cobos
07-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Hi Ron,
I like this very much...I do see the possibility of two photos in one...I like it as presented...my only suggestion for improvement would be to adjust the CW rotation just a tad...aside from this, good show...:cool: