PDA

View Full Version : Eurasian Sparrowhawk

Han Bouwmeester
07-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Two years ago I start working on a hide with a water pool in front of it in a forest were I can go when I like to and do what I like to do. Mean target were the Sparrowhawks who are breeding here every year. On warm summer days they would need some water to have a drink and to take a bath; I thought. To make a long story not to long; this week I finally had success. The Sparrowhawk family is enjoying the pool at the end of the morning and I am enjoying them. I cannot find words to impress what is going through my head at those moments. One of the adults landed one meter from my nose. To close for my Sigma 300-800 mm)
This is one of the best shots in my opinion. You can see all results on my website at http://www.enjoywildlife.nl (http://www.enjoywildlife.nl/) I hope you can enjoy them!

http://www.hanbouwmeester.nl/images/forumfoto%27s/Sperwer_HBN5750-K.jpg
Nikon D700; Sigma 300-800 mm f5.6; iso 400; f7,1; 1/125 sec; -1 stop

Axel Hildebrandt
07-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Angle, pose, sharpness and BG look good. I might lighten the image slightly by adjusting the midtones.

Daniel Cadieux
07-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Nice!! I like the wet feathers and pose. The image is a bit dark, but I like the "dark forest" mood it gives. Although the colours might be accurate I wouldn't mind seeing the yellow on the eyes and bill accentuated just a bit more (the Sponge Tool set at 6-8% works great for this).

Seeing that the pool is a set-up what is the pool's "rim" behind the bird... just a log, or other?

Lorant Voros
07-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Dag Han,

Good image with the techs. I agree lightening up a bit. I checked the other shots on your site. You should post some more here too. Proficiat.

Aidan Briggs
07-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Good suggestions from above. In addition to lightening the eye, I might sharpen it just a tad more, as it appears slightly soft to me.

Gal Shon
07-20-2009, 11:47 AM
That is superb, killer look.
Agree with Daniel, it is a bit dark, but I really like it that way.

Ramon M. Casares
07-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Agree with the comments above, but I resally really love this shot. Great natural moment, lovely bird's atitude, nice detail, BG, pose and soft light.
Congratulations.

Markus Jais
07-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Beautiful shot of this little raptor. I like the tight composition, the head turn and the water soaked feathers.

Markus

Nagesh Mula
07-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Its a beautiful shot. Very poignant. I agree with the suggestions posted above. Congrats!!
Also, I visited your website and your compositions are very beautiful :-).

David Fletcher
07-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Super shot Han. Understand the comments on going brighter, and is an option, but like this as is as is strong and moody, in keeping with a predator of the woods. Nice shot.

Han Bouwmeester
07-20-2009, 02:58 PM
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:Standaardtabel; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> Thanx for all these opinions! It's correct that I like a little bit dark pictures but I will have a look at it. Maybe I need to re-calibrate my monitor.<o:p></o:p>

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-20-2009, 06:07 PM
HI Han
Love the dark mood in your image. I can feel your elation too as you captured it. It is magical. Great pose and love those damp feathers. Well done for your dedication!

Erich Stevens
07-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Han,

Your hard work and patience really paid off. This is a stunning capture. The feather detail, reflection, DOF, the creamy warm BG... it all comes together here. I don't mind the overall dark tones of this image. It doesn't appear underexposed; the light was what it was, and I think you nailed it. It's a fine intimate portrait. Congrats!

Daniel Cadieux
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
<META name=ProgId content=Word.Document><META name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 10"><META name=Originator content="Microsoft Word 10"><LINK rel=File-List href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><STYLE> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </STYLE> Thanx for all these opinions! It's correct that I like a little bit dark pictures but I will have a look at it. Maybe I need to re-calibrate my monitor.<O:p></O:p>

Judging from the images on your website I'd say your monitor is fine. Good work to be found while browsing in there:)

Arthur Morris
07-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Not much to add to the excellent comments above but I did want to extend a big BPN welcome. Let's see some more.

Don Anderson
07-20-2009, 10:29 PM
What I really love is you planned, worked , waited, and finally it all came together,
and we get to see the result. I love that you got the shot!

Stu Bowie
07-21-2009, 12:06 AM
I like the alert pose, and this is sharp showing good detail.

Ryan Lambert
07-21-2009, 01:54 AM
Superb image Han, made all the better by your patience to get the image. Maybe slightly brighter would work, bu a stunning image nonetheless...

Kiran Poonacha
07-21-2009, 01:57 AM
welcome to BPN... All said above..its a Beautiful Image.. I have been after this bird for sometime now.. seeing this has made my want hit the skies... TFS

christopher galeski
07-21-2009, 04:40 AM
good shot Han,I used to fly one of these when I was into falconry,nice bird,like the HA,NICE AND SHARP.thanks.