PDA

View Full Version : Plum-headed Finch

Simon Bennett
07-20-2009, 03:40 AM
Rob Drummond lent me his Diamond Dove waterhole near Winton Qld, no dove for me, but this male Plum-headed Finch lobbed in.

Canon 40D, EF500 f/4 + 1.4 tc, tripod, Evaluative, AV, ISO 125, f/7.1, 1/500. A tiny bit cropped from right and a sliver of twig digitally removed from behind his hind neck.

Rob Smith
07-20-2009, 04:37 AM
Lovely shot Simon. Spent many hours trying to get these when I was in Dalby Qld but could never get one as good as this. Rob Drimmond - Hmm, would that be the same Rob Drummond from Hamilton Vic?

Ryan Lambert
07-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Super image here Simon, good detail,comp and well exposed I think with the 1.4tc, f8 would have gotten the leg and foot a bit sharper...

Krijn Trimbos
07-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Cool species, nice pose, eye contact and colours. Would suggest when an oppertunity like this reveiles itself to use a smaller aperture to get more DOF as it would have been nice IMHO to have the top of the head IF as well. Would be interesting to see this with a little more room on top and a little less on the bottom. In any case a very nice shot.

Daniel Cadieux
07-20-2009, 09:32 AM
A wonderful little species, and a good head turn it offered you here. I would definitely desature the sky as it is too "electric" as is. A bit more sharpening to the face would be good to bring it on par with the body - critical focus seems to be on body body/wing tips.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Beautiful bird, good head angle and eye contact. I agree regarding desaturating the sky a few points and sharpening the upper part of the head more. On the 40D ISO 200 looks very good and would have allowed you to stop down more for wider DOF. Maybe a bit more room at the top?

Aidan Briggs
07-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Ditto Daniel. The bright blue sky immediately caught my attention. I would prefer this one with a BG of distant foliage or dirt.

Ramon M. Casares
07-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Very nice pose and detail, colors and species, sharpness is great and I think fill flash would have helped here to get rid of the not ideal light angle shadows.
Congratulations.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Awesome details Simon. Love the clean BG, the perch is perfect. Stunning little Aussie character! :)