PDA

View Full Version : Oh why not

Nonda Surratt
02-06-2008, 10:55 AM
What I spend a good deal of time looking at in May and June. Hubby was the one that said give this a try( the image). It is now being used for bird (hatchling ID) since a songbirds mouth is often all we have to go on, no feathers. Much better than, you best fetch that one up so we can find out what it is;)

Fabs Forns
02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
WOW!!!! That is one vocal chick!!!!!

Love it. I can feel the mother's pain ;)

Alfred Forns
02-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Nonda I'm impressed !!!! This is awesome !!!! Any suggested changes are basically taste Love this image !!!!!

Nonda Surratt
02-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks to you both glad you enjoy the image

Christopher C.M. Cooke
02-06-2008, 02:25 PM
That reminds me to call my mother in law.:D

Great capture!:)

Axel Hildebrandt
02-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Looks like a high maintenance chick. :)

Nonda Surratt
02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Looks like a high maintenance chick. :)

Yea but they are quick, 3-5 weeks and gone:D

Maxis Gamez
02-06-2008, 09:06 PM
The next American idol!!! right here at BPN!!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Unbelievable capture Nonda and the DOF in this one is definitely over the top. Love it !!!!!!

Alfred Forns
02-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Had to come back one more time !!!! Just love this image !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nonda Surratt
02-07-2008, 07:26 AM
:D FYI I didn't have to climb a tree or anything this is a Cedar Waxwing that was 'in house' rehab. I put it in this forum because that is what I do. I usually don't make images of rehab guys for public viewing, its an ethics thing for me, not the same as education wilds, but I was so darn happy it turned out like it did.

One evening Don said you know what would make a really cool image? A baby bird mouth. Sure thing Don and how am I going to do that in that room with the nasty lighting? Af is going to have to be fast since CW bob and weave when they gape, picture the little dolls with the springs for necks. Well you have that wonderful 35L, its fast give it a go and my beloved 20D that when it dies it will be a door stop.

I am really, really pleased you all enjoy this image, they are one of my Fav birds,now to just get a good image of one in the wild....

Mike Boyce
02-08-2008, 03:26 PM
:D FYI I didn't have to climb a tree or anything this is a Cedar Waxwing that was 'in house' rehab.

Thanks for letting us know who this big mouth is....;) What a great image!

I was checking out Hebron Ohio in Tom Thompson's book: Birding in Ohio (1983 :(). He mentions that the Fish Hatchery's future is in doubt because of funding cuts in 1981. What is the status today, do you know? Also, does anyone have a suggestion as to a better (or at least more recent) reference for bird finding in Ohio?

Thanks is advance for any replies.

Mike

Nonda Surratt
02-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Mike,

The Fish Hatchery is alive and well, one of my favorite spots! (less that 2 miles from my house). The FH also supports an active eagles nest now as well. Buckeye Lake has turned into the Osprey flight school:D Last summer I got a call to rescue a downed 'falcon' some sort stuck on a rock pile in the water..The parks folks were shocked that is was an Osprey, didn't know they had any, Don and I had seen 6 in the air at one time in one spot;)

You probably already know about Magee Marsh, I'm heading up that way in May.

Right around me things are looking up. Dennison Bio Reserve is super for birds and all wildlife, fun place.

The big news is Dawes Arboretums Dutch Fork Wetlands, it is reclaimed and like all things Dawes done so right. Tim is working to make it photographer friendly. They left the 2 old barns and now have a pair of Barn Owls..How cool is that? When the wild flowers are in bloom it is stunning beautiful, butterflies, dragon flies and many species of songbirds.

Come on down!