PDA

View Full Version : Sun Dragon

Mike Fuhr
07-19-2009, 03:46 PM
I took this pic a few weeks ago while in South Carolina. It was actually in the shade with a bright background (sun lit leaves and pine needles) so I utilized fill flash, something I rarely do -- I usually don't like the result. They, to me., often look unnatural. In any case, I really like the result here, the way the colors popped. One thing I don't like is the perch as it is a bit over-exposed. Anyway, comments welcome...

Nikon D300
100-300 F/4
1/250
F/9
ISO 800
fill flash
on tripod
minor crop and sharpening added

Randy Stout
07-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Mike:

Your dragon is great, with lovely colors in eyes and abdomen.

I agree about the perch being a bit hot, and for me, I would really try to tone down the bright spots in the background a bit, so they don't compete with the subject.

Fill flash can be a life saver when used thoughtfully.

Cheers

Randy

Steve Maxson
07-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Mike. Randy covered my thoughts perfectly. :)

Fabs Forns
07-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Agree that toning the highlight could do wonders for an already pretty image :)

Julie Kenward
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Mike, this is really beautiful! I share your sentiment for fill flash but sometimes it really does the trick. I balanced out the light and dark spots in the image using the eye dropper to grab a medium brown tone in the BG and then using a soft brush at 65% opacity to smooth over the lighter spots. I then switched over to the clone stamp set at "lighten" and 30% opacity, put the source in the lighter areas and cloned over the darker spots. I also toned down the perch just a bit. Lastly, I changed your comp just a bit, taking a little off the bottom and right side and twisting the frame so the tail shoots up towards the right top corner of the frame. See if you like this...

Desmond Chan
07-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Other than as mentioned, I think this could also work in a vertical crop. Perhaps some sharpening, too?

Mike Fuhr
07-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Jules -- that looks great!!! I wish I had the PS skills to do that kind of stuff. Thanks for taking the time to work on it like that. I really appreciate it. :)

Jay Gould
07-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Julie's RP is #1 in my books!!