PDA

View Full Version : Stacked Converters Flight

Alfred Forns
07-19-2009, 03:37 PM
This image is from Loaxahattchee this morning. We had two landings close enough for a full frame with a 400 lens but most others were not close. For this one I tried stacked converters on the 500 IS and relied on AF which worked well enough for the capture. The image in minimally cropped, probably ten to fifteen percent. Again made the image wide open for better quality judging but stopping one would be advisable.

Comments welcome and much appreciated

Canon 1DMk3
500 f4.0 IS 2.0X 1.4X
f 11.0 1/800 sec
Av +1
ISO 1600

Phil Ertel
07-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Hi Alfred, I think the wing position is really makes this a pleasing image. The bit of food(?) in the beak also adds interest. Your resulting from shacking look great to me. You have nice sharp detail throughout the bird. I like the composition. The placement of bird in frame is effective. Well done.

Ian McHenry
07-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi Alfred
Beautiful image but the tc shows thro'.
Just wonder whether a smidgin of contrast and/or sharpening could be worth a dabble.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Axel Hildebrandt
07-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Pretty good considering all those TCs. I like the wing position, eye contact and food item.

Brian Barcelos
07-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Considering that your "double stacking"...Wow. Never would of even thought it was possible for in flight with auto focus. I don't want to repeat what everyone else said. Congrats.

Brian

Sid Garige
07-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Fantastic job with stacked TCs Al.

Arthur Morris
07-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Ditto on the "hats off." Not something that I have ever done successfully. Not sure what comprises wide open but with the 2X on the lens the camera does not read the 1.4X so the image could have been made at f/8.

James Shadle
07-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Ditto on the "hats off." Not something that I have ever done successfully. Not sure what comprises wide open but with the 2X on the lens the camera does not read the 1.4X so the image could have been made at f/8.

Help me out here. Now I'm confused.
If I'm correct, with the 2x and 1.4x the mechanical maximum aperture is F11. The camera would not read the electrical signal from the additional 1 stop value of the added 1.4x.
So the viewfinder would read F8, when in fact wide open would be F11.
Am I off base?

Mark Dumbleton
07-20-2009, 05:06 AM
Super work with stacked convertors. Something I still want to try. Like the wing position here, and catch in beak the cherry on the top!

Kiran Poonacha
07-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Lovely image considering the stacking. Loved the pose and the feed adds well.

I have the same question as james.

Alfred Forns
07-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Hi James

That is correct The info reads f 8.0 but its at f 11.0 ... so it was wide open Closing down one would take you to f 16.0 !!!!

Arthur Morris
07-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Help me out here. Now I'm confused. If I'm correct, with the 2x and 1.4x the mechanical maximum aperture is F11. The camera would not read the electrical signal from the additional 1 stop value of the added 1.4x. So the viewfinder would read F8, when in fact wide open would be F11. Am I off base?

Hey Froggie, I do not have enough technical knowledge to know if you are off base :) And I do not know what a mechanical aperture is :) I do know that when you used stacked TCs with a Canon f/4 lens that the aperture reads f/8 (even though it would seem that it should read f/11).

Want more? If you put an Extension tube in front of the two teleconverters (or in fact in front of any TC), the aperture will read as wide open and the metering works fine. Go figure.