PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley Ablaze

D. Robert Franz
02-06-2008, 09:48 AM
From several years ago during the 100 year bloom.. This is an optical extraction to emphasize the scope of the flower coverage.

Canon 1d2, EF100-400mm @ 310mm, ISO 200, 1/160 @ F10

Robert Amoruso
02-06-2008, 10:55 AM
That's a really electric looking yellow. I am not saying reduce the saturation - I like it just fine. Use of the diagonal hills, especially the way they reverse makes for interesting patterns. What do you mean by "optical extraction".

Inclusion of a small slice of the hazy background adds additional depth to the image.

D. Robert Franz
02-06-2008, 11:01 AM
. What do you mean by "optical extraction".

Robert it's a term coined by George Lepp which basically means using a longer lens to pluck interesting compositions out of the landscape as a whole...

Michael Pancier
02-06-2008, 11:08 AM
wow. I was just there and it did not look at all like this. What part of the park was tihs?

D. Robert Franz
02-06-2008, 11:42 AM
wow. I was just there and it did not look at all like this. What part of the park was tihs?

Not suprising wildflower blooms this good are quite rare.. As far as I can recall this was near Ashford Mill south of Badwater.

Bret Edge
02-06-2008, 01:42 PM
This would lose all impact without that section of blue, background hill you included. Perfectly composed, beautiful image!

Travis Novitsky
02-06-2008, 03:44 PM
A lovely image with a lot of lines.....hard to go wrong with that! That must have been really cool to see Death Valley during such a rare bloom. I've never been there, but would like to go someday. I love optical extraction....around here we have a lot of ridge lines and one of my favorite things to do is to hike up one of these ridges and just sit up there with my 100-400 and pick out interesting images from the area below. A lot of fun! Anyway, nice image - can't see anything that I would change.

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
02-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I love the composition and coloring as well. I agree that optical extractions are a lot of fun, I like shooting with my 100-400 using the same technique. I call them flatscapes.

Robert Amoruso
02-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Robert it's a term coined by George Lepp which basically means using a longer lens to pluck interesting compositions out of the landscape as a whole...

Ok. :confused: A fancy sounding term for something I started doing when I got my 500mm. Using longer lenses for landscapes opened up a whole new dimension coming from wide-angles and short zooms.:cool:

Thanks Robert.:)

D. Robert Franz
02-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Ok. :confused: A fancy sounding term for something I started doing when I got my 500mm. Using longer lenses for landscapes opened up a whole new dimension coming from wide-angles and short zooms.:cool:

Thanks Robert.:)

Yes I've always been more comfortable with landscapes using my longer lenses..... Must be a telephoto kinda guy :)

Gayle Clement
02-08-2008, 01:39 PM
This is an unusual and very appealing image. I love the waves of yellow and blue.