PDA

View Full Version : Verticals vs. horizontals

Jeff Nadler
02-06-2008, 09:28 AM
The preferred composition, vertical or horizontal, is often highly dependent on the specific bird species, it's static or flight position, background elements, and more. The majority of publications have always had a vertical orientation. Back in film days, we had to remember that even when a horizontal composition for a shot was clearly better, to shoot some verticals for potential publication use.

Today, with higher megapixel and improved noise technology, I am wondering if many rely more on preparing vertical crops in post processing on the computer versus at capture. Of course,a full frame vertical capture will always provide more ones and zeros to work with versus a crop. From the editors. publishers, and graphic designer perspective though, I wonder if they are receiving and accepting a rapidly increased percentage of vertical crops from horizontal captures.

Do you shoot as many verticals as in prior years or do you have in the back of your mind, " I can always make a vertical later"?

Fabs Forns
02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
I try to do a lot of vertical, not for the commercial aspect, but for aesthetics. If the subject is elongated, I would always use that choice, unless I have no time.
Occasionally I end up making one out of the horizontal, but I try not to, for megapixels sake, even though I use 12MP cameras.

Good subject for a thread ;)

Alan Melle
02-06-2008, 01:11 PM
I've noticed over the years that I seem to have a preference for verticals and I still shoot many of them. The subject dictates it for me so I guess I agree with Fabs.

James Shadle
02-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Jeff,
I photograph more verts now than in the "old film" days.

Photographing birds in flight as verticals is just more challenging and more fun. Digitally it is also less expensive.

James

Maxis Gamez
02-06-2008, 09:05 PM
One thing I do is to switch from vertical to horizontal on almost every opportunity I get. I want to make sure I take full advantage of the situation.

Kaushik Balakumar
02-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Well, I never happened to notice until the topic has come up now.
When I think back, in my case, I have started shooting more horizontals than verticals - especially with small subjects where I cannot fill the frame. I later make it vertical while PP.

rgds,