PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 bird/wildlifephotography hotspots per "continent"?

Daniel Stenberg
07-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Inspired by a thread at birdforum.net on the subject "Top 5 birding sites..." I wonder what your choises are on the title question? Try to narrow it down to 5 can be hard, I know, but it makes it more fun at the same time.

1. North America (USA and Canada)
2. South America
3. Central America and Carribean
3. Europe
4. Africa
5. Asia
6. Oceania
7. Australia and NZ

Good luck!:)

// Daniel

Mark Fuge
07-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Inspired by a thread at birdforum.net on the subject "Top 5 birding sites..." I wonder what your choises are on the title question? Try to narrow it down to 5 can be hard, I know, but it makes it more fun at the same time.

1. North America (USA and Canada)

Not in any particular order, as I know others will totally disagree with some. I have in the past enjoyed the following locations;

Merritt Island, Florida - No need to explain to anyone who has been there in season.

Ding Darling, Sanibel Island, Florida (though I find this has not been as productive since Hurricane Charlie went through the area.)

Horicon NWR, Horicon, Wisconsin (One of the best sites for Canada Geese during spring and fall migration. 250,000-500,000 not uncommon.) The largest freshwater cattail marsh in north america, the flock is over a large area, but primarily available along Hwy 49 on the north end. Unfortunately, the best area to find the flocks is on the south side of the road, shooting into the sun.

Little known Theresa Marsh, Theresa, Wisconsin is even better for light angle, as the flock is primarily on the north side of the east west road. Very small concentration, but probably close to 30,000 birds fly in at night and throughout the day in fall. The sound after dark is awesome to hear. With invisible birds flying overhead, about 10 feet, to their landing locations. Listed with Horicon as is in the area, but little visited in my experience. I rarely saw more than two photogs at any time, on my visits there in the years I lived in the area.

Platte River - Spring and Fall Migration - Platte, Nebraska - The middle of the hourglass of the migration of many birds between the south and north habitats. Well over 250,000 Sandhills, with Canada Geese, Eagles and many other species coming together for the semi annual reunion before heading south in the fall, or north to Canada in the spring. Quite a sight to view. Room reservations are hard to get on the last minute, due to Platte being a relative small community and this being their main event throughout the year.

**** Additionally ***

The International Crane Foundation - Baraboo Wisconsin - World recognized for their restoration of all the crane species of the world. The only site in the world that has and exhibits all of the crane species. This is a breeding and educational site, not a wilderness site, but I would recommend it above the others to anyone who can go there. Both from the standpoint of what you will see and learn, as well as the support you will give to maintaining these beautiful birds for the generations to come. In addition to the birds, they have established living displays of and they study the requirements for the reestablishment of the great American prairie. Flowers and scenery are of the American praire that once existed. Sorry for the commercial, but it is a great site to see once in your life. And it is a testimonial to a magnificent bird species that almost left the planet, but for their efforts.

2. South America
3. Central America and Carribean
3. Europe
4. Africa
5. Asia
6. Oceania
7. Australia and NZ

Good luck!:)

// Daniel

Interesting posts. Looking forward to replies. Don't expect many to agree with some of the above or even know about them! But I hope that is the reason for the OP, so others can learn. If you are in the area and want info on the above, I would be happy to direct your search.

Deborah Harrison
07-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Don't know where you'd classify them ? South American or Oceania but two ultimate sites are the Falkland Islands and South Georgia - they should rank on the top of every wish list!

Jay Gould
07-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Daniel, what a wonderful idea! This is one thread I will be anxiously looking forward to the responses for South America as we will be there in October for a long time. Thanks!!

Lance Peters
07-20-2009, 04:26 AM
Hi - aren't Australia and New Zealand part of Oceania???

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Hi - aren't Australia and New Zealand part of Oceania???

Yes, however, apparently the Au/NZ/oceania region is now commonly called Australasia. I wonder what brain thought of that? I like the ring to Oceania much better, has a really tropical feel. Thinking of the Australasia region, first thing that comes to mind is big cities, congestion and smog.

Mark Fuge
07-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Yes, however, apparently the Au/NZ/oceania region is now commonly called Australasia. I wonder what brain thought of that? I like the ring to Oceania much better, has a really tropical feel. Thinking of the Australasia region, first thing that comes to mind is big cities, congestion and smog.

I would agree with you Ákos. It's unfortunate when everyone has to change names for their own recognition, rather than enhance for the betterment. Some Geographer probably did it so they could be forever immortalized by a referenced in a footnote. What was their name again? :confused: :D

Mark Fuge
07-24-2009, 07:34 AM
I know that the best birding sites are in NA, ;) but I would have thought some of you would have a few others someplace on this great planet? :confused: Please advise, in case we get a chance to get away. So far only two worth seeing outside NA? :confused: :(

Jarrett Wyant
07-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Costa Rica offers an abundance of hotspots for the bird, wildlife, and nature photographer. Here are my favorites:

1) Tortuguero National Park - The park is made up of waterways that offer up close opportunities for an abundance of wildlife. Most photography must be handheld from a boat, but the wildlife is not shy. Many of the Florida waders are present plus many local species. Numerous kingfisher species - and they don't fly off just when you get your finger on the shutter button! Plus monkeys, anteaters, iguanas, lizards, and more. Want a challange? Try catching a Basilisk Lizard (Jesus Christ Lizard) running across the water.

1a) Cano Negro National Park - A cheap man's Tortuguero - and more easily accessible. It's not as scenically beautiful as Tortuguero but offers much of the same photographic opportunities...

2) San Gerardo de Dota - This cloud forest habitat offers a great opportunity for hummingbirds and the grail of Costa Rica bird photography - the Resplendant Quetzal. The challenge of the Quetzal is two-fold. First you have to find it - but a good guide should address that. Second, you have to have the patience to wait for the perfect composition. They tend to stay in one place for a long time - and not always where you'd prefer them for the perfect picture.

3) Ostional National Park during the Arribada - The attraction here is nesting Olive Ridley Sea Turtles - in mass, day and night, for three days. Being there at the right time takes a combination of planning and luck. The planning involves being in the area during the right time of the month, and then you have to be lucky enough that the Arribada occurs while you're there. Scientists are still trying to determine what triggers an Arribada - but right now only the turtles themselves know for sure. But if you're lucky enough to catch it, you'll have thousands of Olive Ridley turtles coming ashore to nest throughout the day.

Costa Rica offers so much for the nature and wildlife photographer. The above are my favorites. Other wonderful places: the virgin rainforest of Corcovado National Park (takes a plane, a bus, and a boat to get there - but it's one of the most beautiful places on earth); Monteverde Refuge; Rincon de la Vieja National Park.

Billsnature
08-15-2009, 09:38 PM
1) Lamar Valley in Yellowstone National Park - Wolves and Grizzly Bears with the options of Buffalo, Elk and Antelopes

2) Kenai Peninsula in Alaska - Brown Bears during Salmon run

3) Cork Screw swamp reserve Florida - Owls

4) Bombay Hook NWR (National Wildlife Refuge) near Dover Delaware- Snow geese, Pintails, Shovelers in winter

5) Shark Alley / Anhinga Trail - Florida Everglades - Purple Gallinules

philperry
10-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Africa: Too many to list really.

Kenya: Masai Mara, Lake Nakuru and Shaba/Buffalo Springs
Tanzania: Serengeti/Nduthu
Botswana: Okavango
Namibia: All the deserts plus Etosha
South Africa: Kgalagadi (Kalahari), Kruger
Zambia: South Luangwa