PDA

View Full Version : Osprey (My first post)

Rob Smith
07-19-2009, 03:58 AM
There were a number of young Osprey diving for fish that local fishermen were feeding them. This is one I kinda liked
Canon 1Dmk111, 300 F2.8+1.4 @ F4 app 6.30AM Osprey diving into the sun
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3514/3733968755_df77b97e8b_o.jpg

Ramon M. Casares
07-19-2009, 04:20 AM
One preety stunning first post Rob! Congratulations and welcome!
I find the pose to be superb except the head angle that IMO it would be better if the bird's head was angled a tad more towards the camera, also com would improve if you leave more room to where the bird is flying to, a less square crop would be better IMO.
Light, exppsure, colors, detail, BG, feet, sharnpess and DOF are to me, simply outstanding! Again, congratulations.

Lance Peters
07-19-2009, 04:23 AM
A big warm welcome to another Aussie :) Very nice first post - love those talons, Ramon covered the techs.
Do post your full shooting info - so that everyone can see what you are doing.
Big congrats - looking forward to seeing more :)

Fabs Forns
07-19-2009, 04:33 AM
Big welcome to BPN, hope you can feel right at home with us!

Ramon did a thorough critique, and I'll add that this is a very difficult image to pull.
Well done.

christopher galeski
07-19-2009, 04:45 AM
good shot Rob,nice and sharp,I agree with Ramon about the head angle and comp.but still a great shot.thanks.

Morkel Erasmus
07-19-2009, 05:36 AM
you 'kind of liked it'! if this was mine I'd be frothing at the mouth to show it :)
techs covered but super sharp and very difficult shot to get in a dive. some more room in front would help a lot.

Jay Gould
07-19-2009, 05:43 AM
Bingo Mate! Welcome to BPN. A fabulous opening introduction.

Rob Smith
07-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Ramon,Lance,Fabs, Christopher & Morkel, thanks for all your comments they are really appreciated. Unfortunately these guys caught me off guard & I actually had to clone a bit of see underneath the bird to give it some space. Was my first time shooting these guys & they were diving off a high building hence the lateness of this shot. Once again, thankyou for your welcome

Rob Smith
07-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Bingo Mate! Welcome to BPN. A fabulous opening introduction.
Thanks Jay, really appreciated. Shot these at Caloundra

Ian McHenry
07-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Hi Rob & Welcome
I totally agree with Ramon re head angle & lack of space to fly into.
However still a powerful image.
If it is cropped it would be neat to see an image with more space in front ??
Image shows the value of shooting in burst mode to possibly get the head a smidgin to the left.
Nice work.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Harshad Barve
07-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Grand Welcome Rob
Fabulous image to start with
Thanks for sharing
Harshad

David Fletcher
07-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Another very warm welcome Rob. Ramon has pretty well covered the techs, so congrats on a lovely first post.

Dave Barnes
07-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Super first post. I like the image a lot. Very good detail and exposure. Moment well seen and captured.

Erich Stevens
07-19-2009, 07:42 AM
you 'kind of liked it'! if this was mine I'd be frothing at the mouth to show it :)

I agree, Morkel. As I haven't even had the opportunity to shoot an osprey, or BIF for that matter, I'll leave any crits to those already mentioned and just say big congrats! And since this is your first post, I'll say double big congrats!

Joe Senzatimore
07-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Wonderful first post. Welcome and congrats on one fine image. The pose is stunning!!!!!!!

Deborah Harrison
07-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Welcome! - a wonderful first post, looking forward to more. Ramon has covered it all, beautiful sharp image and very difficult to capture.

Stu Bowie
07-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Welcome to BPN Rob, and what an introduction. Ramon has pretty much covered the main points. I may add that I like the inclusion of the clouds in the BG. Keep them coming.

Lorant Voros
07-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Welcome to BPN. Nice first post. Agree with Ramon on the critics and with Fabs that it isn't an easy shot to pull off. Looking forward to see more posts from you.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Welcome to BPN, Rob! Great first post, I like the captured moment and to emphasize the action I might crop a bit off the top and add a bit canvas left and bottom. Keep them coming!

Kiran Poonacha
07-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Welcome to BPN, great first post.. loved the sharpness and details. with have loved a better HA and morre room in the front and bottom.

Juan Aragonés
07-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Big wellcome on board Rob and what a great post. I agree with the coments above regarding the head angle. Composition would be much powerfull, in my opinion, with the bird placed in the right upper corner and with more room at the left and bottom to give the osprey space to fly. Terrific sharpness and pose. Keep them coming!

Doug Brown
07-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Welcome to BPN Rob! Very nice first image! I don't think that I can add any suggestions that haven't already been made. Looking forward to seeing more images from you!

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Mate,
It took you forever to get going. I was wondering where the heck you been! :D
Great first post indeed. I won;t add anything to what's been said.
Show us some inland birds. If you need some spots, let me know. I'll talk to some contacts your way. :)

Ryan Lambert
07-20-2009, 03:45 AM
The comments regarding the crop are sound as the subject needs more space to fly into. Very well captured image here...congrats

Rob Smith
07-20-2009, 04:31 AM
Thanks again everyone for your comments. Really appreciated. Akos, been so busy mate with new job. Looking forward to work settling down & allowing me time here

Gyorgy Szimuly
07-20-2009, 05:41 AM
While I am not a fan for square images I have to say that this image really rocks. Would love to see it in the traditional image ratio but the fact how perfectly the subject was photographed is incontrovertible.

Szimi

Ondrej Prosicky
07-26-2009, 12:08 PM
I like ospreys! Nice.