PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Lotus

Fabs Forns
07-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Captured today at the Fruit and Spice Park. I like how they glowed with the back light.

Model: NIKON D3
Lens (mm): 250 Sigma 180mm macro plus 1.4X
ISO: 1250
Aperture: 32
Shutter: 1/200

Desmond Chan
07-19-2009, 02:18 AM
I like the idea here. In fact, I also found a lot of back-lit opportunities out there when shooting close-ups or macros. This one looks a bit dark though on my monitor. So, if this were mine, I think I would increase the contrast more to make the lotus really glow. :)

Fabs Forns
07-19-2009, 04:06 AM
Thanks, Desmond, I use a low key filter on this one, that's why it looks dark. I though it would glow more if darker. My appreciation, of course :)

Jay Gould
07-19-2009, 05:08 AM
Fabs, I am a big fan of your work; this one immediately struck me as crooked! Hope you don't mind that I straightened using the lines in the primary petal. Perhaps you wanted the lines as in the OP; simply bothered me. Otherwise, I find the flower very moody and dreamy.

Anita Bower
07-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Lovely translucense in the petals. I like how the shadows repeat the patterns of the petals. Good angle of view. I, too, would like to see what it looks like a bit brighter, with perhaps a dark vignette to make the top edges dark like the bottom. The flower looks perfect.

Julie Kenward
07-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Jay, I'm with you...this one needed just a tiny bit of CCW! I also think a bit brighter might add to the ambiance if you can pull that off without losing the glow and the mood.

Richard Lovison
07-19-2009, 02:57 PM
I like the photograph as presented as the mood works for me and the angle of the flower doesn't bother me. The beautiful shapes in the background combined with the main subject and quality of light form a beautiful image. Well done Fabs.

Nancy A Elwood
07-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Fabs just stunning! Your posting makes such a nice mood with elegance! Beautiful light.

Randy Stout
07-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Fabs:

I think the brightness is just right here. I like the shadows cast on the foremost white leaf.

For background, I like the green, but wish it extended behind the entire flower is possible, which I suspect wasn't, just one of those perfect world wishes.

I have found it lots of fun to experiment with lighting on flowers~!

Randy

Fabs Forns
07-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Thank you all for your feedback!!
Jay, thanks for taking the trouble of reposting :)

Don Berendsen
08-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Gorgeous image Fabs! I find the lotus your original image significantly more visually interesting than the rotated version.