PDA

View Full Version : Just a Gull (Heermann's)

Fabs Forns
07-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Another image from the San Diego IPT, this time by the pier, where the golden hills give the water beautiful colors at sunset.

Model: NIKON D3
Lens (mm): 550
ISO: 400
Aperture: 6.7
Shutter: 1/640

Axel Hildebrandt
07-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Maybe it's 'just a gull' but I like it a lot. Great light, sharpness, water colors and eye contact. What kind of gull is this and what lens did you use to get to 550mm?

Fabs Forns
07-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Axel, it was my only long lens at the time, the 200-400/4 VR plus 1.4X
No clue on the ID. Will look it up in Sibley's :)

Thanks!

Heermann's Gull, adult breeding.

Indranil Sircar
07-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Beautiful light and colors, Fabs. Love that beautiful eye!

Bryan Erb
07-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Really nice light, pose, and colors.

Grace Scalzo
07-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Delicious colors. Love the spotlight effect on the bird's head.

Manos Papadomanolakis
07-19-2009, 12:10 AM
beautiful water color,pose and great details!!!

Ramon M. Casares
07-19-2009, 12:13 AM
The BG is very violent and I like it. Nice pose, light, exposure, detail, colors and overall scene. Big congratulations.

Juan Aragonés
07-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Yeah is just a gull, with just a wonderfull water colour and texture, with just a beautifull light and fantastic eye contact. Maybe it is just a gull but you made of it a beautifull image and you can not image how much I like this photograph. The bird couldn´t be more beautiful and it is in perfect plumage condition. Th eimage rocks and it is one of my favourites from you right since this moment :-)

En serio, no puedes imaginarte cuánto me gusta este fotón Fabs :-)

Very, very well done!

Jay Gould
07-19-2009, 02:31 AM
Fabs, not "just a Gull"; another Fabs' Gull! and with the killer BG it is a great capture.

Juan, my wife is leaning Spanish online with a teacher in Bariloche, Argentina. They are online through Skype twice a week for one hour. She has written down your sentence and is going to translate it for her teacher. I only have my high school Spanish, and I am too busy learning photography to participate in the Spanish lessons. Jackie will be the interpreter on the trip.

Nagesh Mula
07-19-2009, 02:43 AM
Its simply Fabulous. Like the simple pose, very sharp and fantastic BG. Congratulations.

Stu Bowie
07-19-2009, 03:44 AM
It may just be a gull, Fabs, but set in golden light and colours. Pin sharp, and well exposed. Great job on the eye too. Well captured.

Joe Senzatimore
07-19-2009, 08:42 AM
The lighting on this is MAGNIFICENT. "Just a Gull". Give me a break.:lol:

Kiran Poonacha
07-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Beautifully done fabs, loved the colours in the frame and the spotlight effect too.. congrats...

Juan Aragonés
07-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Ha, ha, Jay I apologize for the use of spanish but you know, sometimes there are things tha are better expressed in your own language and Fabs and I share the same language.

I will translate my sentence to you and to your wife: Seriously, you can´t imagine how much I like this "fotón" (superlative of photography)

In Spain, we use "fotón" to describe an image (foto) that is... superlative ;)

Fabs, not "just a Gull"; another Fabs' Gull! and with the killer BG it is a great capture.

Juan, my wife is leaning Spanish online with a teacher in Bariloche, Argentina. They are online through Skype twice a week for one hour. She has written down your sentence and is going to translate it for her teacher. I only have my high school Spanish, and I am too busy learning photography to participate in the Spanish lessons. Jackie will be the interpreter on the trip.

Connie Mier
07-19-2009, 03:27 PM
It's "just a gull" but you couldn't ask for better lighting situation. Simply beautiful, Fabs.

James Shadle
07-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Flash????
I need to know before I comment.
Great image either way.

Ryan Lambert
07-20-2009, 03:41 AM
Stunning capture here with that last bit of glorious light falling on the subject

Gyorgy Szimuly
07-20-2009, 05:29 AM
This is not "just a gull", this is a beautiful gull. Lovely lights, lovely colors. Fine art for sure.

Szimi

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-20-2009, 05:37 AM
The BG instantly beckoned me to look. A truly gorgeous image Fabs. The light and subject are insanely good! :)

Rich Steel
07-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi Fabs

This is a wonderful Gull image. You caught the bird in beautiful light and it reallys pops off the screen. I often go down to the local marine lake when the light is good at the end of the day to have some fun with our black-headed gulls which most people ignore because they are so common. However, as you have shown to great effect with this photo in great light the 'ordinary' can become the extraordinary. Congratulations a beautiful image.

Cheers

Rich