PDA

View Full Version : Li'l Cayman Beach Shack

Katherine Enns
07-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Here is an old photograph of a shack on Little Cayman Island taken during an afternoon of NOT diving. No data, sorry, just a point and shoot camera, and a jpeg from 8 years ago.

I have this series of shack shots I wanted to show, so here is a start. Most were taken more recently with reasonable cameras. Not a great photo, but I liked the subject so please comment if you think its ok. Al, if you see this, is this the spot for these still, in your mind? Or no?

Kat

Alfred Forns
07-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I know the place Kat !!! Never stayed there but visited some afternoons !!!

Usually went on the Aggressor and loved every trip Little Bloody Bay is one great dive site !!! Nice light !!!

Katherine Enns
07-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Bloody Bay is my favourite wall bar none. Its a symphony. Light and vis was incredible. We had about two weeks there, and I would go back in a New York minute. So you recognise this shack? Not much to see there, on foot, and it doesnt take long! We dove with the outfit situated at the Little Cayman Beach Resort. Excellent. Also has resident Canadians and Scots so has to be good.

Thanks Al! We havent decided on Honduras yet. Some health issues. Maybe we are too old?

kat

denise ippolito
07-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Kat, A beautiful island feel with this one!! I love it!!

Alfred Forns
07-19-2009, 04:10 AM
Denise that island is very small and not many permanent residents. At one time in the Seventies it numbered in the twenties !!! Next door there is a much larger, The Brac, with close to two thousand !!! Grand Cayman is about ninety mines away !!!

Little Cayman has to be close to paradise !!!! Special place in every way ... btw they also grow world class mosquitoes :)

Jay Gould
07-19-2009, 05:24 AM
Hi Kat, great feel! I think we all want to run away to this place.

I am going to use your image to ask the experts: When you put a straight edge against the image there are conflicts as to how much you need to rotate the image.

As I have previously indicated I quickly use a notepad edge to identify level issues. In this image the horizontal line above the porch is almost level - when you put the top line of the notepad just underneath the right point of the lower roof line there is a bit of light on the left side. The post as you enter on the left side is also leaning slightly to the left, and that is accentuated by the drain pipe.

When you have these "level" issues, what is the best approach?

I must admit that my eye may not see some of the compositional issues that others see; however, for some reason I am drawn to anything that is even slightly out of level.

Hope you don't mind, Kat!

Jay Gould
07-19-2009, 05:26 AM
To add to my post as my Edit button isn't working, to straighten the roof line you would increase the lean of the post and vice versa. What is the best approach?

denise ippolito
07-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Jay, Sometimes these buildings settle and straight is never really straight. I am posting a link to a very informative tutorial given by David Thomasson, you need to scroll all the way down. It's a good read and answers alot of your questions-I hope this is helpful.:)
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26734&highlight=sheldon+church

denise ippolito
07-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Denise that island is very small and not many permanent residents. At one time in the Seventies it numbered in the twenties !!! Next door there is a much larger, The Brac, with close to two thousand !!! Grand Cayman is about ninety mines away !!!

Little Cayman has to be close to paradise !!!! Special place in every way ... btw they also grow world class mosquitoes :)

Alfred, Sounds like true Paradise, of course I could do w/o the mosquitoes!! I've been to Grand Cayman twice and loved it!!

Katherine Enns
07-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Denise, thanks, I hoped people would get the sunshiney ambience of LC (Little Cayman). Its also photogeneic under the water...

Jay, I am not an expert, but have spent a lot of time trying to photograph old buildings, which often naturally lean or are crooked. The trick is to shoot it right the first time, and make sure the horizon and other references to the horizon are perfectly level. Bruce has a level on his cam, I may have to get one, lol! Of course if you are shooting into a building with a lot of horizontal and vertical lines its often necessary to decide which ones are going to be the level ones. So I picked the rightside column on the porch and the beaded decorative trim around the top ceiling of the porch for my reference horizontal and vertical. (When mosaicing aerail photography I can stretch the rest of the image...).

As you have noted most of the right side columns are on the vertical. When you get to the left side, its off plumb. I wonder if its better to plumb the right, does the human eye tend to read from left to right? Jay, you could rework this, and see if by putting the left hand side of the porch plumb, you loose what you have in the rest of the photo. Maybe thats the answer, dunno.

I would be very interested in advice or guidelines, even on what should be done ine cases where there are several verticals and horizontals in a photo and because of the angle of the shot... its often not possible to have them all completely plumb. I didnt mean this to be a discussion of this, i have several other examples, but whot the heck?

Perhaps I should have posted this in eager to learn, instead! :)

kat

Alfred Forns
07-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi Kat

If you want perfectly parallel line you need to keep the back of the camera square to the target. Personally I would not worry much about it and I only try to straighten the most noticeable. In PS you could do a lot of perspective control !!!

Do you have any shots of the Southern Cross Club? I think that was one of the oldest in the Island and started more as a fishing club !!!

Jay Gould
07-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi, this is a great learning experience - thanks Denise for the reference - thanks Kat for the OP.

I have added the grid screen to my 5D2 specifically to assist in lining up to the straight edges in an image. I am finding it very helpful and not at all distracting.

Katherine Enns
07-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi Kat

Do you have any shots of the Southern Cross Club? I think that was one of the oldest in the Island and started more as a fishing club !!!

Thanks Al, I dont have the SCC on film or file, but I remember it. My dive master lived near it and rode his bike to work in the morning from there. Can you imagine having a life like that? Wow.

I have quite a few other photographs from Little Cayman, so I may post a few of them for you. it was a very special place for us.

Kat

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-19-2009, 04:26 PM
A hut on the beach. A perfect way to wind down. Thanks for sharing Katherine. So hoe come Bruce was not diving? You'd not get me out of the water at a spot like this! :D

Katherine Enns
07-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Hey Akos, this was late afternoon light and I think we had done our three for the day. Or I was out rambling around topside on my own. Bruce was not one to miss a dive, thats for sure! Can count the ones I know of on one hand.

ke

Gus Cobos
07-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Love the feel to this little hidden jewel of a place Katherine...I like it...thanks for sharing...:cool: