PDA

View Full Version : Sunset - Yatch

Nagesh Mula
07-18-2009, 06:55 PM
I took this picture when I visited a local place Moss Landing beach,CA. I have always seen some dramatic Sunset there. I was waiting for this Yatch to come to frame and wish the sun was not this hot. I used ND 2.0 for this picture.
I would like to know your opinion on this. Increased some canvas at the bottom, clonned some birds which were like dots. I liked the bird on the left front and wish there were more of them at that distance.

EOS 50D
Tv - 1/8000
ISO - 400
Av - 6.3
Exp - -2/3
100-400 @ 210mm

Thanks.

Morkel Erasmus
07-19-2009, 05:17 AM
very tranquil scene with strong compositional elements and nice textures Nagesh! love the shine on the water and the clouds. you picked up a halo on the horizon - probably due to shadows/highlights tweaking, and the horizon seems to sloping ever so slightly to the left. but these are easily fixed.

Kobus Tollig
07-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Good Skills here. Great comp and i like the bird you left. just watch the halo on the horizon. Great shot well done

Judd Patterson
07-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Great idea to wait for the boat to enter the frame. I like the overall scene, with the boat, sun, and bird. I agree that the sun is too hot and distracts my eye. In this type of situation I would have captured the scene as you have here, and then captured a second reduced exposure (likely a full stop or more down) to try and tame the sun. Then it would be fairly easy to bring in the proper sun exposure and blend it with this original scene.

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi Nagesh,
You may have a bit more detail in the sun and I agree with the slight halo.....nice job composing the elements and waiting for the sailboat. Nicely done overall and any more detail you can bring out in the highlight area will just add to the image.
PS If this is Raw....you can also combine 1 exposure correctly adjusted for the sun........and 1 for the sky and water.

Robert Amoruso
07-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Halo mentioned and Roman and Judd had some good comments. I agree the composition was well planned.

David Kennedy
07-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi, Nagesh,
I'm inclined to agree with others that the sun "spot" is too distracting and that a crop from the top might be the best suggestion. In a future situation, I would watch for the boat to come closer to the horizon line, which would put the silhouette of not only the sails, but the hull itself (which is hard to make out in this example, because it's superimposed against the ocean) against the lighter clouds. I would also watch out for the over-saturation you've got going on the clouds--it's the sort of thing you see on postcards for sale.

Desmond Chan
07-25-2009, 03:34 AM
Like the clouds and the overall composition. The sun is just too much though. The bird up there is a nice touch.