PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wimberley F-1 flash bracket trouble

Ed Schneider
07-18-2009, 06:15 PM
After recently receiving the Wimberley II head and Gitzo 3530LS from BAA (thanks Artie & Jim!), I then ordered the F-1 flash bracket to mount w/ the AF-S Nikkor 500 f/4 D (non-VR). While I can easily mount the F-1 on my lens using the plate from my former Induro tripod, this plate seems too short to accomodate both the lens and F1 while still being balanced on the Wimberley II.

Which plate should I go with? Do I need a new plate or am I missing something in the directions from Wimberley?

Also, I'm guessing I'll need the FA-11 Flash Cord Adapter for the F1 to accomodate my SB-900. Any Nikon users out there with input on this? I'm leaving for Newfoundland in six days, so I have to order soon!!!!

Thanks in advance, and good shooting! :)

Ed Schneider - Vivaceous Neophyte - Nashville, TN, USA

Jamie Strickland
07-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Ed I would get the biggest plate the P-50, I am guessing you have the 40 now? , as you add the flash & then TC's you will have to move it back and forth to balance it

Also you know the bottom plate for the flash bracket, I turned mine upside down so I slide it over top of the lens plate instead of underneath like they tell you to do, that gained me a bit of space and helped to balance mine much better. I dont think doing that should cause any problems, seems to be just as stable as before.

I dont know anything about Nikon so cant help you on that one :)

Jamie Strickland
07-18-2009, 06:47 PM
actually shows on this page that you can do that anyway so maybe your already doing that :)

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/flash-bracket-compatibility.cfm

Ed Schneider
07-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Ordering the 40 right now :) After reading through their site this is the one for me. The plate I have right now from my Induro ball head is way too short, and not even a dove tailed design. To try to use it with the F-1 would just be dangerous, as well as off balance.

Thanks, Jamie!

Jamie Strickland
07-19-2009, 06:14 AM
ah now I realize what your saying, yeah that's way to short for sure

Scott Grant
07-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Ordering the 40 right now :) After reading through their site this is the one for me. The plate I have right now from my Induro ball head is way too short, and not even a dove tailed design. To try to use it with the F-1 would just be dangerous, as well as off balance.

Thanks, Jamie!

Ed, the P40 is long enough to balance my 500 VR and 1.7X and flash with BB. as mentioned you may want to consider mounting the F-1 on the upper side of the foot plate as it will also raise your flash another 1/2 inch or so. i still find the flash sitting a little low with the setup and am finding steel eye an issue.

and yes, you do need a n adapter to mount your SB-900 to the F-1.

make sure you install the stop screws in the plate ASAP!!!!!

Ed Schneider
07-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Scott, and will do! I know I've gone too long w/ out any mishaps, so safety is #1 @ this point!

Mack Hicks
07-20-2009, 10:06 PM
The plates for the Induro and Benro heads are very short, even the bigger ones. For my larger lens, I have either Kirk plates or replacement feet. I use a Sidekick and the flash bracket and have a replacefoot foot for the nonVr 500, and a P-50 plate that I used on a Bigma.