PDA

View Full Version : Moon flower

Randy Stout
07-18-2009, 12:43 PM
These lovely blossoms grow just outside my back door. Usually only blossom for 1 day, so thought I would preserve this one. This was taken in situ. I did hang a black T shirt behind the blossom for a more neutral background.

I have tinkered on and off with supplimental lighting for my macro stuff, and in this case, used a small LED flashlight to illuminate the base of the blossom. Perhaps overdone, but am trying new looks.

D700
Sigma 180 f/3.5
F/13
1/30s
Gitzo

I might try another round with a new blossom, and try to isolate the flower more, but thought this one was kind of fun as is.

Thanks for your input.

Randy

Julie Kenward
07-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Randy, I think your choice of lighting is beautiful here. I personally would darken or remove the supplemental leaves and just let the base and the flower be the focal point. I also think I might turn this so the flower was pointing up with the light coming from the base of the image and moving out into the darkness.

Really nice DOF - f13 worked very well for this. You also did a bang up job on exposing and processing the whites.

denise ippolito
07-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Randy, The lighting is lovely. I agree with the removal or darkening of the supplemental leaves but this is a stunner!!!! Well done.

Fabs Forns
07-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Another vote for evicting the leaves. Very dramatic presentation with the black BG.

Randy Stout
07-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Thanks Julie, Denise and Fabs:

My big concern was that the lighting would look too "fake" and I would be better off with a straight shot. I liked the glow it generated. I agree about the leaves. This was my test of concept, re: lighting.

Thanks again.

Randy

Anita Bower
07-19-2009, 06:51 AM
This flower seems to glow deep in its throat--lovely. Would like to see that light extended to the pistil and stamen. The black BG works really well. (I will have to try a black T shirt outdoors.) The angle is just right, highlighting those exquisit curls at the ends of the petals. Only distraction are the two green stems on the left side of the image. They might be cloned out. Just lovely! Good use of flashlight.

Randy Stout
07-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Anita:

I learned the black tee shirt trick from Daniel. It actually is a bit heavy, and I am going to look into some lightweight black fleece. Heavy, in that as it drapes across the plant, it tends to move the plant, effecting the composition. I took some more today, will post another perhaps.

Randy