PDA

View Full Version : PC Question from a Mac Guy

John Lowin
07-18-2009, 11:56 AM
My wife is a PC user and her 2 1/2 year old Samsung 225BW computer monitor is committing suicide. I can help with Mac's but I'm a dummy with Windows machines. What I'm asking for are suggestions for a replacement monitor, something around the 22" inch range, best quality without breaking the bank. (My wife never wants to see another Samsung product.) I'm on an Eizo CE210W but the budget won't currently handle that. We're only interested in image quality and faithful color rendition, we're not gamers. ( We calibrate our monitors regularly) Any and all suggestions welcomed. Please keep your suggestions to currently available models though. Many thanks in advance. - John

Axel Hildebrandt
07-18-2009, 02:34 PM
I remember reading that the HP2465 got good reviews and was not too expensive. I'm not sure HP stills make them.

Chris Brennan
07-22-2009, 08:59 AM
John -
I'd suggest checking out ZDNet's site for their monitor reviews:
http://review.zdnet.com/filter/lcd-monitors?categoryId=3174
I use a Dell 19" LCD monitor that's several years old, and color rendition is superb. I calibrate it weekly with a Huey. Their current models have been well-received by users and reviewers alike, and I think you'll find that you'll get a lot for your money. Plus, they're always having sales! Good luck in your search...

Richard Lovison
07-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi John,

I own a Samsung 226BW and even though the almost two year old model hasn't self destructed yet, I've been noticing brightness variations. Plus the poor vertical viewing angles of a TN type screen have been counterproductive when doing image editing.

I have just purchased a Dell ultrasharp 2209WA and should receive it by tomorrow. I missed out on Dell's sale back in January where you could have purchased one with discounts for just over $200. I paid $299 shipped from an eBay seller who also sells through Amazon.

The 2209WA has received outstanding reviews and is one of the few 22" low cost monitors that contains an IPS type panel though an inexpensive one. From what I've read it makes a great budget graphics editing monitor. One respected review can be found here:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-dell-2209wa.html

I wish I had it so as to give you a better hands on review though I think if you can still find one, you won't be disappointed.

If you would like the name of the eBay seller, send me a PM.

Richard

BTW, I just noticed... you have a three year warranty on the 225BW.

Glenn Forbes
07-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Dell makes very good monitors that are reasonably priced. I like the ultra sharps because they are truly ultra sharp and they come without the annoying glossy screens that most of the others have.

Richard Lovison
07-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I did a mini review of the Dell 2209WA if anyone is interested at the following address:

http://www.richardlovison.com/?p=571

The seller I purchased mine from indicated he will have more in stock by the first week in August.