PDA

View Full Version : Colorado River & US-191 Bridge

Michael Pancier
07-18-2009, 11:32 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2472/3730785983_cd7c4bcaa0_o.jpg

3 Image HDR
view of the 191 from the Foot Bridge along SR 128 on the way into Moab.

5d Mark II
24-105L
f/11
ISO 100

Does anyone know how old that foot bridge is? I can't seem to locate it on google earth or from other sat. views.

Roman Kurywczak
07-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey Michael,
Might be my favorite wall......just brings back memories for me every time I see it! The bridge appears minimal to the image but i do wonder if making it stand out more by either burning it more.....of lightening the area around it a little....will give it a bit more impact????....not sure there......You had nice clouds and even though I usually dispise con trails......they cooperated with you here and point you back into frame towards the bridge.... I am debating the top of the curve of the rock wall......undecided on cropping the top to where the wall would just be a vert....part of me feels it shows the continuation of the wall.....while with the crop the bridge comes more into focus. Let's see how others feel.
I can tell you this......Makes me want to get on a plane and head out there!

Morkel Erasmus
07-18-2009, 04:43 PM
very nice tone and comp here. love the sky and the colour in the rock formations. I like the inclusion of the rock wall curve as presented. would nonetheless be interesting to see the difference cropping there makes.

Jay Gould
07-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Hi, simply scrolling the image up so as to do a "screen crop" shows how the image would be with and without the top portion of the wall. I like the curve in the top portion of the wall; cutting off the top creates too much of a blockade - a wall - on the RHS. I like it "as is"! Thanks.

Cindy Cone
07-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Great composition, Michael. I really like it as is, I but also thinks Roman's suggestion to crop might work, especially if the bridge could be emphasized more. And yes, I'd also like to hop on a plan and get back to Moab!

Robert Amoruso
07-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Michael,

I am kind of partial to a pano crop here. Nice work on the HDR.

David Kennedy
07-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Hey, Michael. Just curious: why an HDR for this image?

Michael Pancier
07-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Hey, Michael. Just curious: why an HDR for this image?

So contrasty there, I used HDR to get a rich sky which I could only get by underexposing the scene. I find in some instances that HDR yields better sky than a polarizer would especially if you're not at the right angle to the sun (it also avoids uneven polarization). Likewise, the HDR helps bring out more detail in the rock that would otherwise get lost.

David Kennedy
07-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks, Michael. That's an interesting idea--one I might try out next week up in Utah. Cheers!
David

Michael Pancier
07-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks, Michael. That's an interesting idea--one I might try out next week up in Utah. Cheers!
David

I'll be across the border next week in Arizona ... hopefully the temps cool down a bit ...;)