PDA

View Full Version : The Bassin part 1

Rene Quenneville
07-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Here is a 3 picture HDR taken yesterday in Franconia Park in NH. I was trying my new Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. For this composition, I needed the full 11mm and the close focusing distance. The lens has done a amazing job. I need to lear to compose with such wide angle, my previous lenses were 18mm at the widest (DX format).
What do you think of this composition? Is the perspective distortion in the trees an issue for you? My son is sitting at the top of the fall, should he be cloned out? Hope you enjoy!

11mm with DX format Nikon D200 & Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
ISO 200
f/20
3 exposure HDR
-2/3 EV
between 0.8 & 1.5 s exposure time

Roman Kurywczak
07-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi Rene,
Another beautiful job blending the exposures! Looks very natural. Very unusual fall and I like the SS's chosen.....water looks great......I am OK with your son there, even though I don't feel he adds much as far as scale.....this is because of the very WA. I also don't mind the trees as you have minimized them nicely......I do find myself drawn more to the RH side of the image. Can you get a higher vantage point to ge the falls from where your son is sitting to the middle of frame of the water????.....makes a great S and exploring that as a vert will give you some other options for next time. I really love the rocks and contrast of the water and again....super job on the HDR.

Rene Quenneville
07-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Thank you Roman,

Here is another view point of the same scene. Since the river flows in an about 5 toot deep rock cavity, it was very difficult to find a nice location that was showing 100% of the water path. those curves in the rock are just amazing. HDR helps us to reveal the lines and the texture.

Please let me know which vue angle you prefer.

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Hey Rene,
I Like the OP better. Your HDR work in this is stellar as in the 1st post....but I like the RH side and the trees in the OP better. I did look at a vert crop.....but found the original better to my liking. Glad to see you exploring comps though....that is the key!

Cindy Cone
07-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Wonderful HDR work, Rene. I like both compositions, but I think I like the original better. The trees don't bother me at all, and I think it's okay with or without your son. The effect on the water is stunning.

Morkel Erasmus
07-20-2009, 04:32 AM
sublime work on the blending Rene. very interesting place and I think you got the best features in your original post. love the smooth flow of the water.

Morkel Erasmus
07-20-2009, 04:34 AM
sublime work on the blending Rene! very interesting place and I think you got a very balanced composition in your original post, showing the best of all the elements in the scene. your son adds some perspective for me on the size, and the water flow is great!

Robert Amoruso
07-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Rene,

I like the first better, would clone out your son (sorry :)), good HDR work and shutter speed perfect. I love this composition with the strong "S" curve.

David Kennedy
07-21-2009, 11:44 AM
I'd second Robert's post.