PDA

View Full Version : Purple Landscape

John Cooper
02-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Late spring on the SW slopes of New South Wales.

Canon EOS 5D, Canon 17-40mm F4.0L at approx 24mm, Natural light, Polarizer, F22, Tripod, Mirror lock-up

John Chardine
02-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Super! There's quite heavy jpeg anomalies in the sky around the trees which may be affecting the overall IQ.

Robert Amoruso
02-06-2008, 08:22 AM
John,

Another cool looking image. I would have liked to not seen the tree cut in half along the right edge. FG is framed well.

John Chardine has a good observation on the JPG quality. It looks unsharp and with artifacts. That gives me an idea for another mini-tutorial that needs to be posted and yes John Cooper, I will get those mini-tutorial done soon.:)

D. Robert Franz
02-06-2008, 09:18 AM
I like this one a lot John. Good FG and depth in this image. Minor nit wth the tree as mentioned.

Bret Edge
02-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Beautiful colors and composition, John. As has been mentioned my only critique are the jpeg artifacts. Otherwise, this is a wall hanger!

John Cooper
02-06-2008, 09:29 PM
John,

Another cool looking image. I would have liked to not seen the tree cut in half along the right edge. FG is framed well.

John Chardine has a good observation on the JPG quality. It looks unsharp and with artifacts. That gives me an idea for another mini-tutorial that needs to be posted and yes John Cooper, I will get those mini-tutorial done soon.:)

Thanks for all the comments regarding image quality. Although the longest side was only 700KB, when I saved to jpeg I had to reduce the quality down to 3 to keep file size under the 150KB size. This level of compression no doubt has caused the artefacts. Must be doing something wrong here!!

David Steele
02-07-2008, 12:42 AM
A dramatic composition. Agree with all the praise and suggestions. I would simply crop the offending tree and make the image squarer.

John Chardine
02-07-2008, 07:14 AM
After receiving advice from this group on the subject I use the Photoshop "Save for web" option under File. I do this after I resize to 800 pixels on longest side. With Save for web you have a lot of control over jpeg quality and it is easy to weigh in under the ca. 140k limit on the site.

Robert Amoruso
02-07-2008, 07:24 AM
John,

Are you reducing the resolution first using Image>Image Size to 72ppi or 96ppi. Do this w/Resample Image uncheck. We are looking into adding a workflow to the website.

If this kind of stuff is giving you trouble, you might want to consider purchasing Artie's Digital Basics PDF from the Field Store link above. That is how I jump started my digital workflows.