PDA

View Full Version : Dade County to eliminate all Environmental Education

Paul Marcellini
07-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around much. Nature camp is draining me and I have been shooting an assignment which has taken some time.

Anyways, the mayor's budget for next year will close down all 6 nature centers in Dade and therefore eliminate environmental education. Not only is that my job, its the future and helping the next generation develop a love for the natural world. Miami definitely needs this, and for those that have ever enjoyed shooting buntings at Castellow, warblers at Bill Sadowski, or A.D. Barnes, they will be closed and unstaffed. The feeders will never be filled and all programs will be discontinued. If this matters to you at all please bombard the commissioners who will vote on the budget Monday.

Here is a sample letter Larry Perez, of the National Parks system wrote.

Chairman Moss,

The coming weeks will no doubt be filled with spirited dialog regarding the county’s FY 2009-10 budget. Given the $400 million shortfall, it is expected that many hard decisions will have to be made. I hope these decisions will be made in a spirit of compromise and fairness that protects as many of our public servants as possible, while broadly spreading the impact of reduced services. With careful attention, I’m certain our community can once again weather this temporary economic crisis.

As these talks begin, I ask that you remember the importance of our county parks and to our collective quality of life. As of this moment, Miami-Dade Park and Recreation has already laid off 23 full-time employees to meet this year’s budget (Miami Today, July 16, 2009). I am especially troubled to learn of the proposed elimination of an additional 227 positions within the department in the coming fiscal year. (FY 2009-10 Proposed Budget, July 15, 2009, pg. 27) This drastic reduction in staff will guarantee sweeping closures of some of our most cherished programs and facilities. All six county-operated nature centers will be shuttered, and all environmental education and nature-based recreation opportunities eliminated. Family swimming facilities, including numerous pools and the popular beaches at Matheson Hammock and Homestead Bayfront will be closed. Resource management, maintenance, and security services to the parks will suffer reductions as well. And unless they are financially self-sustaining, afterschool, sports development and summer camp programs will be eliminated—likely ending these valuable services to the very communities that need them most.

That natural areas and outdoor pursuits have the power to nurture the body and calm the soul has long been recognized. The desire to preserve these opportunities for the benefit of all is an ideal that has been perfected in America over the last 140 years. Since then, our nation’s parks have become areas of inspiration and comfort in the midst of world conflict, the Great Depression, and 9/11. As we face the largest economic crisis of our respective lifetimes, can we afford to deny our community the simple, low-cost opportunities our parks offer? Furthermore, as our country moves boldly to build the bright, “green” future of tomorrow, is it right to close the doors to the very institutions and programs that have helped foster such ideals in our own community?

Our parks, and the professionals behind them, are more relevant today than ever. During the coming talks and budget negotiations, I hope you will recognize the important contributions these facilities make towards the preservation of both our natural and cultural heritage. The value of these areas can scarcely be measured in terms of dollars and cents, and consequently, are often undervalued during traditional cost/benefit analysis.

In considering tax rates for the coming year, I implore you to consider how I, and many others, would be more than willing to help augment public coffers for the express purpose of preserving access to the recreational opportunities and natural areas that have defined our south Florida existence for decades. Though there are many areas in county government worth tightening our belt around, our parks are simply not one of them. However, possible, please see to it that our parks remain open and available for all the families of our community.

Regards,

(signed electronically)

Larry Perez

Here are the emails:

District 1 - Barbara J. Jordan - BJORDAN@miamidade.gov
District 2 - Dorrin D. Rolle - BMORRIS2@miamidade.gov
District 3 - Audrey M. Edmonson - AAME@miamidade.gov
District 4 - Sally Heymen - HEYMAN@miamidade.gov
District 5 - Bruno A. Barreiro - BRUNO@miamidade.gov
District 6 - Rebeca Sosa - SOSA@miamidade.gov
District 7 - Carlos Gimenez - CALOSG@miamidade.gov
District 8 - Katy Sorenson - CKS1@miamidade.gov