PDA

View Full Version : The Cheeky Little Puffin...

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Hi Everyone!
Here is another offering from my visit to Skomer Island last week. I was lucky enough to spent a night on the island - we had booked two nights but the weather turned and we were evacuated off a day early. But, I have to tell you that being alone (apart from my 10 friends) on the island with 17 thousand puffins (yes, really...) was such a privilege and a complete delight. These little birds have the power to make everybody smile - very special...
50D 300 f2.8 + 1.4TC
F4 1/ 2000 sec
ISO 200
Exp comp -0.7
Thanks so much for your comments and critiques!
Best regards to all,
Nicki

Chris van Rooyen
07-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Must have been a pleasure Nicki! I really enjoy this image - the soft background, the OOF flowers, the way in which the bill and head sharply pops from the background. Nice intimate feel and good exposure on the whites:-)

Randy Stout
07-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Niciki"

Fun story and image. Quite the character.

For me the oof area in LLC that overlaps the bird rather ruins the effect however. The flowers on the right are nice, yellow matches his yellow.

Show us some more!

Randy

Brian Barcelos
07-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Very cute pose, almost as if he knew what you were doing and he was flattered. I agree with the above comments. Congrats.

Brian

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi Chris, Randy and Brian!
Thank you both so much for your kind words. Randy, I agree that the OOF area will not be to everyone's taste but I felt that it emphasized the cheekiness of the puffin's expression, peeking over the flowers at the photographer!!! Brian, you said it best!
Best,
Nicki

Ramon M. Casares
07-17-2009, 12:34 PM
I like this crop better than you previous one, pose is funny, nice light, BG, ambient, comp and detail. Congratulations!!

Austin Thomas
07-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi Nicki, I have never seen this pose before. I guess spending so much time with the subject allows the Puffin to relax a little more.

A fun image. Thanks for sharing.

Austin

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi Austin,
Actually the Skomer puffins are extremely relaxed around humans - so many visitors and you can walk right through their breeding colony so long as you stay on the path. I do reccommend it!!
Best,
Nicki

denise ippolito
07-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Nicki, I like the OOF flowers and the cute pose! I think that's what separates this image from many others. I do agree the LLC is a bit distracting. But not enough to keep me from really liking this image!!

Fabs Forns
07-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Very cure pose and I love images taken through something as was the case here :)

Lorant Voros
07-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Love the pose and the yellow flowers on the right. BG is very nice too. Congratulations.

Keith Bauer
07-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi Nicki: Oh my.... Another Nicki shot!! Love the pose and expression. 17,000!! I sure hope that I have that opportunity some day. Hope you are doing well.. Keith

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-17-2009, 11:10 PM
I feel if the OOF flower was a little higher that would ruin this, but as is, the effect is subtle, and while I wish for none of it, I don't mind. The head pose is super and that really sets this apart from many puffins I have seen. Must have had a blast there! Thanks for sharing. :)

Ryan Lambert
07-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Very nice pose captured here Nicki, the image really has a nice feel to it with the oof flowers and the sharp detail of the puffin...congrats

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Thank you all for your comments and critiques - much appreciated as always!
Best,
Nicki

Grace Scalzo
07-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Really cute and different, the flowers are a nice element.

Stu Bowie
07-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Nicki, I had to look twice to work out which way the head was. A different perspective, and I like the shape of the beak at this angle. Must have been really great to experience so many Puffin's in one place. I would like just one in my gallery.