PDA

View Full Version : Tangled oystercatcher -update

Grace Scalzo
07-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Mods: Put this thread where you want it, ok?

I met up with Axel this am at Nick. The plan from last night that I made with the rehabbers was that I was to go to Nick at sunrise, find the bird and then call the rehabbers who would be there asap. Well, found the bird at 5:30, they got there at 7:00. He proved uncatchable with the equipment that the man brought (a big net on a pole). So dept of conservation and waterways was notified and as Axel and i were leaving, they showed up with a seine net. The rehabber said that without antibiotics the bird will die of systemic infection, and as is, may need to have foot amputated. The parents are feeding him. If anyone is going to Nick, bring a bed sheet and a box, try to catch him, and then call me and I'll get in touch with the rehabber. The bird flies really low to the ground, and while we normally do not chase birds, the rehabber said that if he makes a series of short flights, he may tire and then be easier to catch. The rehabber (Bobby is his name) is a pretty cool guy and I would not be surprised to see him show up at Nick on his own and try. My cell is 631-664-0934.

Kind of a frustating morning, but at least now there is some involvement. Will keep you all posted.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks for posting Grace. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

denise ippolito
07-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Grace, Thanks for the update. I hope he is caught.