PDA

View Full Version : Photographer's Locations Again

Richard Kowalski
02-06-2008, 02:07 AM
At our monthly team meeting, the oft repeated phase used when someone is requesting a new feature in our software is, "It would be nice if...", so...

It would be nice if one could sort and or search the profiles of members from a specific area.
IOW, I notice a number of other site members from Tucson and SE Arizona, but only if I come across their posts. I think it would provide a little more opportunity for people that live close by one another to get together and learn from each other. If someone is visiting another location, they could get in touch with photographers in that general area and maybe go out into the field together.

While "Travel & Hot Spots" can serve this purpose, it might become rather cluttered if there was a post for each state, city, region, country, etc.

Richard

Alfred Forns
02-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Hi Richard We are trying just that !!!!! Regional chapters !!!!

We wanted to get started and a foot on the ground before going into the chapters We actually have a moderator for a chapter that is not up as we speak

The first chapter up will be Florida We are strong in the area and lots of members come to visit This is a place to post current info just like you suggest

We also are planing to get together Presently we are planing one for Florida Those can be set up as soon as we have the chapters going It is amazing that we have been up and running for just over one month !!!! We are being careful not to Swamp Overlord more than we have with new things Lots of things are being changed behind the scenes at speed ..... I think James mentioned Warp 9.3 !!!!!

Doug West
02-06-2008, 05:44 AM
He's young...he can handle it :)

It would be nice to see if anyone is in the Cleveland area.

Doug

Jim Poor
02-07-2008, 07:54 AM
I don't think chapters is exactly what he was talking about. I think what the OP had in mind was a way to sort the member list by location just as it can be sorted by number of posts now.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of dividing things into chapters as I think it will do exactly that . . . divide. That said, you can please some people some of the time . . . ;)

Richard Kowalski
02-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Yes, Jim hits it right on the head.
I think individual chapters would divide the site into "us" & "them". I think you'll see a very rapid movement to where people in, say Florida, will tend to post and read the posts in the Florida section and new members will gravitate to their own local chapters too, especially when there are tens or hundreds of thousands of posts.

I want to see and be critiqued by others from everywhere. I think what I am requesting, a way to sort members by their listed location, is the best solution. I could find others nearby my home location OR if I will be traveling to a certain location, I can find the members in that area easily. This way unless I actively search for either, my default is to interact with everyone, not just a "local chapter".

My $0.02

Richard

Larry Daniel
02-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Yes, Jim hits it right on the head.
I think individual chapters would divide the site into "us" & "them". I think you'll see a very rapid movement to where people in, say Florida, will tend to post and read the posts in the Florida section and new members will gravitate to their own local chapters too, especially when there are tens or hundreds of thousands of posts.

I want to see and be critiqued by others from everywhere. I think what I am requesting, a way to sort members by their listed location, is the best solution. I could find others nearby my home location OR if I will be traveling to a certain location, I can find the members in that area easily. This way unless I actively search for either, my default is to interact with everyone, not just a "local chapter".

My $0.02

Richard

I would add a dime to this suggestion.
:)

Judd Patterson
02-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Richard, I hear you loud and clear. I've accidentally run across several photographers from my home state of Kansas (we're a relatively rare breed) and I would love the ability to specifically search for such individuals.

Robert Amoruso
02-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Jim Poor articulated the original request correctly and I see that as a nifty feature.