PDA

View Full Version : Budgerigar

Simon Bennett
07-17-2009, 04:25 AM
Big mobs of Budgerigars have been attracted to the abundant seed and water in central Queensland following exceptional summer rains. Every suitable gum tree along the previously dry creeks seemed to have pairs of Budigies either investigating for a nest site like these birds, or raising their families. The male is the bird with the blue cere standing on top of the spout.

Canon 40D, EF500 f/4 + 1.4 tc, tripod, ISO 200, partial metering 1/400, f/10. Cropped from left and right, a branched digitally removed from right centre, also toned down the yellow forehead of the male, and applied extra sharpening to the females face.

Gyorgy Szimuly
07-17-2009, 05:10 AM
Ohh, this image tells a lot more that it was suggested by the thumbnail :)
Very nice. This is not the rarest species but where I live it is a popular cage bird. I was always dreaming to have a nice image of this bird taken in the wild. Time is closing to make my dream true.

Szimi

David Fletcher
07-17-2009, 05:34 AM
Wonderful story being told with the female lurking away in the cavity. Good ps work Simon. Thanks for sharing.

Markus Jais
07-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Fantastic shot with great colors. The 2nd bird in the whole makes this one special.

Markus

Leo Berzins
07-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Outstanding capture, Simon!
Makes traveling over a thousand miles into outback Queensland worthwhile when you can get an image like this of a globally popular caged birdbird in its natural habitat and give us all an insight into its true breeding behaviour.

Daniel Cadieux
07-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Ohh, this image tells a lot more that it was suggested by the thumbnail :)

My first thoughts exactly!

Great to see these guys behaving in natural surroundings - just like Gyorgy, this species is a very common cage bird here. You may want to burn the lightest part of the perch next to the cavity. Good stuff!

Phil Ertel
07-17-2009, 06:36 AM
I was prepared to state that the perch was to large from looking at the thumbnail but, after opening and seeing the bird peaking out of the hole in the branch that thought quickly disappeared:D. In my opinion the bird in the hole makes this image interesting. I also like the background and colors throughout the image. If it were mine I might try and toned down the brighter parts of the branch/perch. Thanks for sharing it made me smile.

Stephen Earle
07-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Wow! Thx for sharing. Amazing to see these little cage birds in the wild. My father used to breed budgies many years ago, so to see a wild one is kinda strange. Excellent photograph.

Erich Stevens
07-17-2009, 07:16 AM
The image tells an interesting story, and I think you nailed the exposure. On a side note I love the BG. Great work!

Ryan Lambert
07-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Really nice image here Simon, the female in the nest makes the image quite intimate, stunning colors represented here...congrats

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
07-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Good work on removing the branch and really love the female in the nest, it really make this image interesting. Good details on the male too. Agree that thumbnail don't do the justice here. If the light is behind you it may reveal more in the nest, but this image is already excellent as it is.

Brian Barcelos
07-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Like everyone else said the female totaly makes this image that much greater. So glad to see this species is doing good outside the pet trade. The vivid colors here almost cheer you up if you know what I mean. Excellent!

Brian

Ramon M. Casares
07-17-2009, 09:49 AM
I have not seen many images of these beautifull birds, I wonder why?

Superb comp, great natural moment, stunning light, pose and BG, and exquisit detail and colors.
Congratulations!

adrian dancy
07-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Killer background and great colour....a picture that tells a story ....and how easy to forget what a cracking looking bird this bird really is. I have really enjoyed looking at this image.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Great work Simon. I love seeing the lady in the hollow. As Szimi said, the thumb shows nothing in comparison. Congrats!

Stu Bowie
07-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Lovely sharp and colourful pose of a budgie. Always see these guys in cages, so well done for getting one in the wild. Even better for finding the family home. Great image Simon.

Gal Shon
07-18-2009, 05:09 PM
BG and colors are excellent,
You have capture a fine moment.
I just wish for a better angle.