PDA

View Full Version : Sun's Struggle!

Ramesh Adkoli
07-17-2009, 02:00 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3474/3725955640_d9755ed93f_o.jpg

It was a misty morning at Ramanagara, near Bangalore (Ramanagara is famous for its rock formations and is a favourite destination for rock climbing, rappelling, and of course photography). Sun struggled to clear the mist.

EXIF: D700, 24-70mm @ 70mm, 1/1500s, f/11, ISO 200, tripod mount, manual mode, 7:30 AM, Auto WB
PP: slight crop at LHS, slight Fill light in ACR, curves for contrast, B&W conversion and sharpening

Appreciate your comments and critiques.

regards,
ramesh

JB Ellis
07-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Ramesh, this is a very interesting composition. I like the layers created by the fog and the vast open space adds to the suspense of what is over that foreground ridge. The B&W conversion works well for the scene too. There is something shiny in the valley between the ridges that is probably water. Since I cant really tell though, you might consider toning it down some.

Roman Kurywczak
07-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Hi Ramesh,
I strugled with this one for a while. While I liked the mood overall the RH side was too dominant. I lightened the FG using a slight levels layer and boosted the contrast using Robert's LCE of 20/22/0. I started cropping and settled on a vertical.....seemed to just flow better and the line of the mountain made for a more pleasing composition. I do wish the sun was a bit lower in the frame.....but not bad where it is located. Let me know what you think as the change is pretty drastic.
PS I do agree with JB on toning down the reflection or eliminating it entirely if you are OK with such things.

Ramesh Adkoli
07-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks JB for your comments. Yes, those shiny areas are wet rock surfaces that reflected the faint sunlight.

Thanks Roman. I really appreciate you spending time on this. I showed the wider perspective to emphasize on the ineffectiveness of the sun that morning. The perspective you posted is a very different one and still makes for an equally nice image. As for the reflection from wet surfaces, i would rather tone it down than remove it.

Let us see how others react to it.

regards,
ramesh

JB Ellis
07-17-2009, 03:43 PM
I had not even considered a crop like Romans. I'll have to admit that the image is more dramatic with the crop. I liked it before, but the change takes it over the top.

Katherine Enns
07-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Either version is very good. Its a powerful photograph.

k

Gerald_Gilligan
07-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Ramesh,
I like the mood of this image...
With Roman's crop and adjustments it helps focus the eye for me...

Jerry

Robert Amoruso
07-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Roman did exactly what I was going to suggest before scrolling down. I do like the mood and the crop strengthens the image.