PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Cranes - Creamers Field AK

Lou Petkus
01-02-2008, 12:07 AM
OK lets try again.

Hi all,

This looks like it will be a very worth while venture. At the rate I see new posts arriving I hope the pros doing the reviews don't get burned out!

This image was taken with a 30D and Canon 400mm prime lens.

ISO400 F5.6 1/1250 sec

George DeCamp
01-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Hey Lou!

I've been hoping you would be able to get the post in and you certainly did....glad to see it.

Really pretty image you posted. The wispy clouds in the BG add a nice touch and the birds are sharp and in a good spot in the frame. Small nit from me would be the wing overlap on the distant bird.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work Lou!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Very nice image, Lou. I like the similar wing position and BG. The overlap would be my only nit.

David Kennedy
01-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Lou,
The lighting, head angle, wing position, and sharpness is all very good. However, the wing of the juvenile covering the adult is very distracting to me. Unfortunately, that's not something you, as a photographer, can do anything about, instead it is something to strive for. Good effort and keep going at it. Eventually you'll get all of the positive elements you have here, plus separation between the birds, and you'll have a winner!

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Wonderful light shinning on their faces!

And the whispy clouds really provide a nice background.

My nit has been mentioned.

Big welcome, Lou! Looking forward to making this a positive learning experience for you! :)

Alfred Forns
01-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi Lou,

Nice seeing a youngster flying with the parent Good looking birds !!! Just the mentioned overlap !!!! Congrats !!!

Jody Melanson
01-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Excellent DOF in this Lou and nice synchronized wing positions. Welcome to BPN and don't worry Lou, I've been lifting weights with my fingers in anticipation of typing enormous amounts of text! :D

Terry Eddington
01-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Reallly nice detail and color. Frankly, I don't find Sandhill Cranes to be that attractive and your's is one of the nicest captures I've seen. My only opportunities to date were in Indiana (Jasper Pulaski) and conditions were either very overcast or featureless, cloudless blue sky combined with a lack of sufficient glass - 300MM just didn't provide the reach needed. It was still fun.