PDA

View Full Version : Osprey with juvenile

Brian Barcelos
07-16-2009, 07:56 PM
This was taken last Friday along with the other two I just recently posted. Momma was landing back at the nest after swooping down at me several times. She finally realized I wasn't a threat and took a break to check up on baby. I had to add some canvas to the right and replace the tips of her wings and a bit of the nest. Hope that dosn't bother anybody and let me know if it's noticeable. First time I ever attempted something like this. I wished I had a better head angle and that it didn't merge with the wing. The baby wouldn't look up either and until I looked through my binoculars I thought it might have been dead. Completely motionless!
Thanks for looking and all C/C appreciated.

Sorry Resized

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2518/3727557775_bfb69d02fb_o.jpg

Canon EOS 20D
Aperture-Priority
Tv 1/1000
Av 6.3
Evaluative Metering
Exp Comp 0
ISO 200
Tamron 200-500mm@500mm

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-16-2009, 07:59 PM
That young appears OK. At least the eyes seem alive. Maybe it was hot? Sometimes I noticed raptor chicks sitt dead still on hot days. You better reduce the image to 1024 max wide as the pixel police will come after ya with their mice! :D

I like the landing pose and concentration on the mom. Light appears a touch harsh.
Thanks for sharing.

Fabs Forns
07-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Brian, good landing pose. Light seems very harsh creating shadows in the face and under wings. Maybe Shadow/Highlights may helps here.

Ramon M. Casares
07-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Crop is too tight to me and light, as said above, is too harsh, but pose is great and species.
Congratulations!

Stu Bowie
07-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Well timed to capture the full wingspread, and your pano comp works well. The chicks eyes are open, so hopefully it is ok.

Daniel Cadieux
07-17-2009, 06:59 AM
Yes, light was quite harsh and it shows...notice how contrasty the image is because of that (especially the nest). If this is a nest that you have regular access to I would suggest heading back early morning or late afternoon (depending where the light is coming from - you want the sun at your back) to take advantage of better, and warmer, light. I am fine with the added canvas and wingtip reconstruction because of the fact you were upfront with it. BYW you did a jgodd job with that PP work. Good landing pose, and wingspread. I wouldn't have noticed the young one if you hadn't mentioned it! :-)

Brian Barcelos
07-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies, the baby was fine and moved his head but only visible with my 20x binoculars(forgot to write that in).:)
The light was very harsh. We were supposed to go later in the day but my mother(baby sitter on Friday's) had things to do and we had to get back earlier than planned. We are heading back today later in the afternoon but I think it is supposed to rain.:(

Austin Thomas
07-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Hi Brian,

You have done well given the harsh light you had to play with. Good action image and well worth returning when the sun is lower in the sky.

Cheers

Austin